Bear Meat

My son recently did some bear hunting and much to my dismay he got a bear! :cry: Now we have all this bear meat…we cut into steaks, roasts, and even ground some up. Does anyone have any recipes using bear meat possibly in ways to disguise the flavor? I have never eaten the meat and I’m a little bit skeptical. Any help would be appreciated! :smiley:
Thanks~

When I dress out a bear I always have plenty of trimmings to save for this recipe. This is an excellent dish, everyone admits they can’t even tell it has wild game for the meat.

Ingredients:

2 lbs. bear meat, cubed to 1 inch.

2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon oregano
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 celery stalks, sliced
1/2 teaspoon garlic
1 lb carrots, sliced
5 large potatoes, peeled & sliced in chunks
1 onion, sliced
1 tbsp tomato puree

First, marinate meat in buttermilk for three days. Then rinse in cold water.

Lightly season meat with salt and pepper, coat with flour. Heat olive oil in a skillet, add meat and brown. Place the meat in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Add season salt and bring to a boil, cover and simmer for two hours.

Add vegetables and more water if needed, simmer for one hour. puree, salt, and pepper, simmer for 15 minutes.

Remove heat and let it sit for 30 minutes. Ready to serve. Serve with toasted bread or hot rolls. :smiley:

BRAISED BEAR STEAK

Older bear meat can be prepared as follows:

Flour
Salt and pepper
Thyme
1 cup sliced onions
4 tbsp. bacon fat
Bear steak, 3" thick
1 1/2 cups broth
1 cup red wine
2 tbsp. tomato paste

Pound the flour and dry seasonings into the steak with the edge of a plate or a meat pounder. Brown the onions in the bacon fat and add the meat. Brown meat well on all sides. Add part of the broth and wine and bring to a boil. Cook briskly for 5 minutes. Turn steak, reduce heat, and cover the pan. Simmer for 1-1 1/2 hours, adding more liquid if necessary. When steak is tender, remove it to a hot platter. Add the tomato paste and additional liquid, if needed, to the pan juices to make a smooth sauce. Taste for seasoning and pour over the steak. Surround with boiled potatoes, garnish with parsley, and serve with sauteed mushrooms.

SIMPLY ELEGANT BEAR STEAK AND RICE

1 1/2 lbs. bear steak
1 1/2 tbsp. vegetable oil
2 large onions, cut into 1/2" slices, rings
1 can (10 3/4 oz.) condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 (4 oz.) can sliced mushrooms
drain & reserve liquid
1/2 cup dry sherry
1 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
3 cups hot cooked rice

Cut steak into thin strips. In a large skillet (oven-proof, if desired), brown meat in oil, using high heat. Add onions. Saute until tender crisp. Blend soup, sherry, liquid from mushrooms, and garlic salt. Pour over steak. Add mushrooms. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 hour or until steak is tender. (Or cover and bake at 350 degrees.) Serve over beds of fluffy rice. Makes 6 servings.

COUNTRY STYLE BEAR

Slice bear meat into serving size portions about 1/4" thick. Tenderize with a meat hammer. Dredge in seasoned flour. Brown quickly in a small amount of oil. Add enough water to cover meat. Cover pot tightly and simmer until tender over low heat. Thicken gravy to desired consistency with flour. Season to taste. Dehydrated onion soup may be used to flavor, as may fresh onion slices.

BEAR MEAT BALLS

2 lbs. ground bear meat
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup bread crumbs
2 tbsp. milk

Mix. Form into balls. Brown in oil in frying pan. Add 2 tbsp. flour and water to make gravy and simmer for 1 hour.

BEAR ROAST

4 lb. bear roast

1 1/4 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. seasoned salt
1 1/2 tbsp. instant minced onion
1 cup beef bouillon

Rub all sides of bear meat with the first four ingredients. Place seasoned meat in crock pot, sprinkle with onion and pour bouillon over all. Cook on high setting for 1 1/2 to 2 hours per pound until 180 degrees F. (check internal temp. of thickest part of roast with meat thermometer). Vegetables such as carrots, potatoes, and celery may be added and cooked the same amount of time as the meat. For gravy: remove meat from pot; stir flour in small amount of water and add to meat juices. Serves 6.

ANOTHER BEAR ROAST

3-4 lbs. young bear roast
1/4 cup cooking oil
1 garlic clove
1 minced onion
1/3 cup vinegar
2 bay leaves
1/3 cup water
1 tbsp. lemon juice
2 tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. chili powder
2 tbsp. dry mustard
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 cup catsup
2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup soy sauce

Place roast in a skillet and add cooking oil. Braise roast on all sides using high heat. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes. Place roast and sauce in an open pan and cook for 3-4 hours at 350 degrees. Baste often. Roast should be served well done. Serves 6-8.

Baked Bear Burgers
1½ pounds chopped bear meat ½ teaspoon grated onion
½ cup water or tomato juice 2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon chopped parsley 1 cup soft bread crumbs
? teaspoon pepper 4 strips bacon
1 egg
Beat egg. Add other ingredients and mix well. Lay strips of bacon on top. Put into greased pan and back in moderate oven for 45-60 minutes.

Bear with Rice II

1 1/2-2 lbs bear steak (cut in thin strips)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 onions, cut into sliced rings
1 (10.75 ounces) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 (4 ounces) can sliced mushrooms (drain & reserve liquid)
3/4 cup dry sherry
2-3 pinches minced garlic, to taste
hot cooked rice, as much as you like

1. Cut bear steak into thin strips about finger width.
  2. In a cast iron skillet brown bear meat in oil, using high heat.
  3. Add onions.
  4. Saute until tender.
  5. Blend soup, sherry, liquid from mushrooms, and minced garlic.
  6. Pour over steak meat.
  7. Add mushrooms.
  8. Reduce heat; cover and simmer approx 1 hour or until steak is tender.
  9. Serve over a nice plate of hot rice with a few splashes of soy sauce.

Bear Kabobs- submitted by Kevin Layne
This is a great grill recipe for bear, venison and even the lesser meats like beef and chicken, Sometimes I even spring for some large shrimp.

Cherry Tomatoes
Canola Oil
Green Peppers
Vinegar
Big mushrooms
Worchester sauce
Onions
Soy Sauce
Bear Meat cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks
Salt
1 Bottle Russian salad dressing
Black Pepper

Marinade-Mix the dressing in a big glass bowl with equal parts oil and vinegar. Add a dash of the worchester sauce, soy sauce, salt and pepper. Marinate the bear meat in the marinade for a couple of hours or all day.

Get your coals lit or fire up your gas grill and on coals adjust the heat to about four hippopotimus.(Hold your hand at about the level of the spears, then go…one hippopotomus, two hippo, three…ouch!!) Put the goodies on the spears, alternating items. The pieces of meat will pick up the flavor from the onions and the peppers, so vary the order that these are assembled.

Line your kabobs over the heat, cover loosely and go into the house and get the remaining marinade and a soft brush. Turn over kabobs and brush the marinade over all, repeat this several times. This does not take long to cook, usually when the tomatoes start looking like they want to fall off the kabob its done. Bear meat is like pork in that it has to be cooked through.

Bear Chili

1 lb ground bear meat
1 Tbsp Cumin
1 chopped onion
1 Tbsp. Chili Powder
3 hot peppers or powered cayene pepper to taste
1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
4 Tbsp. Flour
1 Qt. Water
3 cans pinto beans
1 Tbsp. Oregano
4 beef boullion cubes

In skillet brown burger, onion and peppers. While this is cooking in a larger pan add water and boullion cubes and cook over medium heat. Drain pinto beans and add to the water. When the burger is finished cooking add the flour and seasonings and cook until brown. Add burger to water and bean mixture and simmer for one hour.

• This dish is good served over a bed of rice and topped with cheddar cheese.

Sorry I forgot to put the title to the first recipe, it 's: Hearty Bear Stew

Thank you chiefcook for all the awesome recipes! My son is going to try the bear stew out at deer hunting camp…I haven’t had the courage to try cooking it yet here at home. Again…thanks! :smiley:

I am not sure this will work but one of my sons teachers did a lot of game hunting (mostly deer) and he told the class that the trick to getting the gamey taste out of the meat was to soak in in milk for a day that that will take that taste away. It works with deer meat you could try it with bear as the point is the same to remove the gamey flavor. Also cook them slow. in a crockpot