Birmingham, England

Hi all, this is probably a really silly question, i love some of the recipes on your site but don’t understand the cup thing, how many oz’s is that? :-? I’m in the UK and we do it differently, i don’t want to have to go on to a different site because this one has yummier recipes on. Thanks in advance. :smiley:

I’ve been looking over some of the old postings on the site and saw your query about how to use American recipes in which the ingredients are specified in cups and fractions of a cup rather than in ounces or grams as you are accustomed to.

I am an American who has lived in the UK for more than 35 years. Although I have used and enjoyed many British recipes after weighing out the ingredients, I brought many American cookbooks with me and am often asked for my recipe after people have enjoyed a cake I’ve made from an American recipe.

The conversion chart that Kitchen Witch provided is accurate, but I pass on my American recipes with the advice that it doesn’t matter that they are unlikely to have a set of American measuring cups because they can manage perfectly well with a glass measuring jug marked in ounces and let the 8 ounce mark represent 1 cup.

So if the recipe says 1 cup margarine, fill to the 8 oz mark; if the recipe says 2 1/2 cups flour, fill to the 20 oz mark; for 1/2 cup fill to the 4 oz mark etc.

If the reci

Hello,
I am an American married to a Brit living in Germany. I am trying to convert some English and American recipes to metrics. Is a challenge. I have a question. How many ounces is in a BRITISH tablespoon. I have a set of measuring spoons and my hubby says they are not right for British recipes. Cna you help me? I am trying to make Ginger nuts and the recipes calls for 5 tablespoons of syrup, question a US Tblsp or a British Tblspn?

being in the uk I’ve gotten used to the spoons vs ml therefore I only know the spoons one to metric… ml’s

1teasspoon=5ml
1 desert spoon = 10ml
0.25 teaspoon = 1.25ml
0.5 teaspoon = 2.5ml
1tablespoon = 15ml

but I hope it helps

Being a fellow brit i really appreciate your help with the conversions here… the cup thing always did confuse me ! :slight_smile: