Blueberry Muffins

I just made these, and they are very moist and light. I’m not sure where I got this recipe. I checked here to find the author, but to no avail. This recipe is definitely worth a try. Next time, I will add another 1/2 cup berries.

Blueberry Muffins

½ cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
½ cup buttermilk
2 tsp vanilla or lemon extract
1 tbsp lemon zest (if not using lemon extract) - optional
3 tbsp lemon juice
2 cups blueberries, either fresh or frozen
1 tbsp sugar mixed with ½ tsp cinnamon

Preheat your oven to 375°F. Grease 12 muffin cups generously with butter or use paper liners.

In large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar until they’re light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

In separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture, and beat well. Stir in milk and vanilla, mixing only until smooth. Quickly stir in the berries.

Fill muffin cups 3/4 full, using all of batter. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar (use all of it).

Bake muffins for 30 minutes, until they’re light golden brown. Remove from oven, and place pan on rack to cool for 10 minutes.

After 10 minutes, run knife around edge of muffin, and try to lift it out of the pan. (These muffins are very tender, and if they don’t cool long enough, they’ll crumble when you try to remove them from pan.) If muffin lifts out of pan without crumbling, remove all of muffins and cool them completely on a wire rack. If muffin sticks or top peels off, allow to cool additional 10 minutes, then try again.

Aline,
These look really good. Think I will make them tonight or tomorrow. My family loves anything blueberry but are too impatient to wait for them to cool. When they smell them baking, they come running. Will probably have to use the cupcake liners so they can eat them (almost) right out of the oven.

Hope Splenda turns out okay in this recipe. We are trying to watch the calories/sugar at our house. I usually use 1/2 Splenda and 1/2 fruit puree (applesauce, prune puree, etc.) in place of so much sugar and oil. It usually comes out pretty good (with less calories).

Thanks for the tip to add an extra 1/2 cup berries. Will let you know how it turns out.
Pat