Boston Market Baked Beans

24 ounce Jar of great northern beans (rinsed and drained)
3 slices of boiled ham (finely chopped)
28 ounce can of Campbell’s pork and beans
½ cup open pit hickory-flavored barbecue sauce
1/4 cups dry chopped onions (reconstitute in ¼ cups of boiling water for about 5 minutes)
1 cup Hunt’s ketchup

Let the onions soften. While doing so, empty the jar of great northern beans and place it in a 4-quart baking pan or dish. Add the Campbell’s pork and beans to the baking dish with the northern beans. Stir in the barbecue sauce, onions, ham and ketchup. Bake in a preheat oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit, uncovered, for about 30 to 35 minutes or until it becomes really hot. While baking, stir it two to three times. After you’re done baking, remove it from the oven and let it chill. Cover it and refrigerate to use it for a week. If you want to use it for about 4 month, you can freeze the baked beans.

Serves 6

This is the recipe I use for Baked Beans. My guests have said they are the best baked beans they have tasted.

Baked Beans
Makes 6 servings
2 cups dried navy beans
1/2 pound bacon
1 onion, finely diced
3 tbsp molasses
2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp dry mustard
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
Soak beans overnight in cold water. Simmer the beans in the same water until tender, approximately 1 -2 hours. Drain and reserve the liquid.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
Arrange the beans in a 2 quart casserole dish by placing a portion of the beans in the bottom of the dish and layering them with bacon and onions.
In a saucepan, combine molasses, salt, pepper, dry mustard, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce and brown sugar. Bring the mixture to a boil and pour over the beans. Pour in just enough of the reserved bean liquid to cover the beans. Cover the dish with a lid or aluminum foil.
Bake for 3 to 4 hours in the preheated oven, until the beans are tender. Remove the lid about halfway through cooking and add more liquid if necessary to prevent the beans from getting too dry.

Mine is similar to yours, and BTW guests have told me these are the best they have ever had.
It be fun to have a cookoff like what is done for Chili. I am sure KW has one also. Most
every cook has their own tried and true recipe.

Yields: 12 Servings

3 15 oz Van Camp Pork and Beans do not drain
8 slices bacon diced
2 medium onions or 1 large onion diced
1/2 cup tomato ketchup
1/4 cup BBQ sauce
1/4 cup honey or molasses or dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons mustard
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (Lea & Perrins)
1 teaspoon Texas Pete
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons Vinegar

Instructions
Saute the bacon until soft or crisp (your choice I prefer crisp). Add the
onion and cook until clear. Do not add the onion until bacon is done
to your liking because the bacon will cease cooking due to moisture in the
onion. While the onion is cooking add beans with liquid and the rest of the
ingredients into a 2 ½ or 3 qt. casserole dish. Pour in the bacon and onion
including grease and stir thoroughly. Bake covered at 325 for 1 hour.

You are right, of course. I do like mine because, by not using any pre-prepared foods, I know exactly what’s in mine.

This recipe reminds me of one from Justin Wilson I tried years ago when he was alive and doing his cooking show. I guess I did something wrong because mine were not so good. I loved to hear him tell the Cajun stories.