BROCCOLI SOUP with BROCCOLI TEMPURA

If you like broccoli then I can’t see why you’d not like this. This is broccoli lover heaven. Its rich and spicy and simply tasty. I will be honest I don’t love this dish myself (but then again I’m not a huge fan of broccoli) but my friends think this is brilliant so I have to make it anyway.

Ingredients:
For the soup:
25g butter
½ onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
¼ potato, peeled and cubed
½ head broccoli, chopped
400ml vegetable stock
100ml double cream
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
Pinch paprika, to serve
For the tempura:
150g self-raising flour
2 tsp baking powder
250ml sparkling water
5 ice cubes
½ head broccoli, cut into florets
Vegetable oil, for deep frying

Method

1. For the soup, melt the butter in a pan and gently fry the onion and garlic for 1-2 minutes, or until softened. Add the potato and broccoli and pour in the stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 6-8 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
  2. Stir in the cream and parsley, then blend until smooth using a stick blender.
  3. For the tempura, mix the flour, baking powder and water together in a bowl, adding more or less water until you obtain a thin batter the consistency of single cream. Stir in the ice to chill.
  4. Half-fill a heavy-based pan with the vegetable oil and heat until a cube of bread dropped in sizzles and turns golden-brown in 30 seconds. (CAUTION: hot oil can be dangerous. Do not leave unattended.) Dip the broccoli florets in the batter, then deep-fry in batches for 3-4 minutes, or until golden-brown and crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
  5. If needed, warm the soup through then ladle into a serving bowl and sprinkle over the paprika. Serve the broccoli tempura alongside.