3/4 cup buttermilk
2 large eggs plus 1 large egg white
1/4 cup canola oil
2 tsp. Pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. Pure almond extract or 2 tsp. rum extract
4 oz. bittersweet chocolate, broken up
Garnish: confectioner’s sugar

Preheat the oven to 350*F.

Coat a 8-1/2x4-1/2" loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray. Line bottom and long sides of pan with waxed paper, coat with cooking spray.

Mix flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda, salt in large bowl. Whisk buttermilk, eggs, egg white,oil and extracts in a medium bowl, stir into flour mixture until blended.

Melt chocolate in microwave on high 1 minute, stirring every 15 seconds, stir in 1-1/3 cup batter. Working quickly (chocolate will become firm and hard to swirl if you let it stand to long), pour some of the white batter over bottom of pan, then dollop with chocolate batter. Fill pan by alternating dollops of white and chocolate batter. Pull knife through batter to swirl.

Bake 1 hour or until pick inserted in center of loaf comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan, put loaf right side up on wire rack to cool. Dust with confectioner’s sugar.

Serves 12

as I googled new recipes tonight for using up my buttermilk before it expires (I love baking with buttermilk) I came across this website and your recipe. I joined tonight and made the loaf. It turned out great! I used the rum extract (and I am going to bake another loaf for freezing and will try it with the almond) and I did not have baking chocolate so I just mixed some chocolate chips into it before baking it. This loaf recipe is a keeper!:smiley: