Cabbage Rolls

Cabbage Rolls

Cabbage leaves will separate easily if you remove the core from the head of cabbage and let the cabbage stand in cold water for 10 minutes.

Prep: 20 min; Bake: 45 min 1 Serving: Calories 390; Fat 17 g; Carb 37 g

12 cabbage leaves
1 lb. Lean ground beef
½ cup uncooked instant rice
1 can (15 oz.) tomato sauce
½ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 medium onion, chopped (½ cup)
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 can (4-ozs.) mushroom stems and pieces,
undrained
1 teaspoon sugar
½ teaspoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon water

1. Cover cabbage leaves with boiling water. Cover and let stand about 10 minutes or until leaves are limp. Remove leaves; drain.
  2. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
  3. Mix beef, rice, ½ cup of the tomato sauce, the salt, pepper, onion, garlic and mushrooms.
  4. Place about 1/3 cup beef mixture at stem end of each leaf. Roll leaf around beef mixture, tucking in sides. Place cabbage rolls, seam sides down, in ungreased square baking dish, 8 x 8 x 2 inches.
  5. Mix remaining tomato sauce, the sugar and lemon juice; pour over cabbage rolls.
  6. Cover and bake about 45 minutes or until beef mixture is no longer pink in center and juice is clear.
  7. Remove cabbage rolls to platter. Pour liquid in baking dish into 1-quart saucepan. Mix cornstarch and water; stir into liquid. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Pour sauce over cabbage rolls. Makes 4 Servings.

Lighter Cabbage Rolls: For 12 grams of fat and 350 calories per serving, substitute ground turkey for the ground beef.

Corned Beef Cabbage Rolls: Substitute 1 pound chopped cooked corned beef for the ground beef.

Now this sounds like a good recipe, I made some the other day and cooked the meat and rice first, but didn’t have good results, this is the first time I ever cooked it first. I prefer it this way. I’m going to try your recipe it is similar to my old one. I will let you know how they turn out. Thanks for sharing.

does anyone have the recipe with white wine?