Canadian goodies

Hi! :smiley:

I’m Canadian, and every now I then, I send my American cousin (Florida) some Canadian goodies that she really enjoys that she cannot get in the States. I’m wondering if anybody knows of other goodies that we Canadians have that are not available in the States so that I can surprise her with them.

Her favorites are: Tim Horton’s coffee, Cheese Whiz, Smarties.

Thanks!

We have Tim Hortons in Michigan but not in Florida. I love the coffee and the cappachino. We also have cheeze wiz and smarties, but when I’m in Canada I always stop at the border for some butter tarts. I can’t find anything that even comes close to them in the states.

Princess

Hi Princess! Thanks for your reply.

Which brand of buttertarts do you buy at the border? Curious to know.

When my mother was first married, she made a pie for my father. My father teased her about her crust. He put his empty coffee cup on top of his pie crust and held it up in the air LOL It never broke. My mother vowed, at that moment, that she would never give him the satisfaction of teasing her about her crust again. Well, she PERFECTED her pie crust. She makes the most delicious fruit pies, meat pies and buttertarts that you’ve ever tasted. Her crust is so light and flaky. She follows the recipe off the Crisco shortening box, but it’s the way she handles the dough and rolls it. She is well known in our area for her pie crust. :lol:

Here’s her recipe for her buttertart filling. It’s not too sweet and not too thick. The secret is that you have to use REAL vanilla, not the artificial stuff.

Mom’s Buttertarts

1 egg
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp melted butter
2 shakes salt
1 tbsp pure vanilla
4 tbsp Carnation evaporated milk
1/3 cup corn syrup
pecans, walnuts or raisins

Mix all together, except for nuts.

Put nuts or raisins into prepared pastry shells and pour in mixture until ½ or ¾ full.

Bake in 350F oven until pastry turns golden brown and filling bubbles (about 12-14 minutes, just keep an eye on it so filling doesn’t bubble over).

There is 4 wonderfull things that come from winnipeg…

1. Kub rye bread
  2. kobasa
  3. Jeannies cake.(people from all over take this with them when in winnipeg. They use to sell it at the airport)
  4. Salisbury House Nips(burger)
    My family has to send me care packages on the bus a few times a year

Hi swtness!
I live in Ontario, and I’ve never heard of any that you mentioned LOL, except for #2; the kobasa. Heck, we just got our first Boston Pizza.
Actually, several American companies have opened big stores in Sudbury. Such as; PetsMart, Old Navy, Michaels, Linen’n Things, Sport Mart, Mr. Big and Tall, The Keg, Boston Pizza. It seems like they’re aiming at our city to be the “shopping capital of the North” LOL.
Anyways, thanks for your reply :smiley:

I’m originally from Minnesota, now living in California. I’ve met no one who has ever heard of Lefsa. Unless of coarse they’re from up north. My mother still makes it. It’s kind of like a tortilla, but eaten sweet. She says shes doesn’t have a receipe, anyone out there have the recipe?

Lay’s Salt and Pepper Chips! I read somewhere [possibly on the bag?] that this is the number one flavor preferred by Canada…we don’t even have them in the States, or at least nowhere around me [Mass]! =( Which is awful because they were awesome! I’m a huge chip fan, heheh. The ‘All Dressed’ ones are terrific too - can’t find those around here either!

need ideas of what to send to the states for some friends. of things that we get that they dont

Well im from Mi and have been living in canada now for 10 yrs. So I know i do this with my mom all the time…
First on my list would be a crunchie candy bar… and i know its not food but a canadian living magazine…i also the food and drink one from the lcbo.
My parents when they come always take home peameal bacon…now that would be hard to ship…lol…
When i first moved here i thought everyone was nuts eating poutine…then i tried it and changed my mind…

Hi Kelly!

You have to try the real traditional Quebec version of the poutine by using white cheddar cheese curds instead of shredded mozzarella. There is a difference! Not sure where in Canada that you live, but here in Ontario we buy the St. Albert brand cheddar cheese curds. St. Albert is situated between Ottawa and Montreal, and the cheese is distributed all over. There is also the cheese curds from Thornloe.

I first tried poutine in 1986 when I moved to Ottawa and thought they were crazy too! :lol: Until I tried it myself… so good :stuck_out_tongue: Have yet to know a child that doesn’t like poutine.

Thanks for the tip…Im going to look for them, i bet loblaws super store would have them.
Do you use a poutine sauce or a gravy on yours? Now im hungry for that…lol

I’ve actually used both a poutine sauce and a gravy, depending what I have on hand. For my taste, I like a good beef gravy! I came across a poutine recipe not too long ago that was aimed at the gravy. Will try to find it again and post it.

I found the recipe. Had it saved in Word.

Best Ever Poutine

1 lb. new potatoes
1 lb. sweet potatoes
1 lb. cheese curds
¼ cup butter
1-¼ cups onion, finely chopped
¼ cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 cups beef stock, heated
1 tbsp brandy (optional)
1 tbsp instant coffee (optional)
1 tbsp heavy cream

Thinly slice potatoes.

In large pan cook onions in butter on a medium low heat for 12-15 minutes until the onions are lightly browned. Do not rush, the onions need to be well cooked. Sprinkle flour into pan, stir well, add salt and pepper, cook 2-3 minutes. Add the warm stock and brandy, cook uncovered 4-5 minutes until thickened. Strain gravy through a metal sieve, return to heat. add heavy cream and instant coffee (coffee added for colour).

Fry potatoes in deep fryer. Remove potatoes from oil and sprinkle with course salt. Pour hot gravy over potatoes slices and sprinkle with cheese curds.

Thanks for posting…im going to try asap

Hi Aline,

When you say “cheese curds” I read where you said cheddar cheese curds? In the States we have what we call cottage cheese, it comes in small and large curd style, and it’s white and creamy. I eat it with baked potatoes and other toppings and also with fruit. We also have a type of cheese called ricotta that we use in our lasagna. Are the cheese curds your talking about similar to what I’ve discribed or really different?

Hi Noel!

These curds are not like cottage cheese or ricotta. Check out the following site. It gives you a great explanation and picture of these cheese curds. It even has a picture of a poutine. Yummm… Let me know if you have trouble accessing the site.

http://www.fromage-st-albert.com/english/prod_curds.html

Thanks Aline!

Looking at that site really helped me understand. I may try to order from them. I saw that you found your rolos (sp) candy, that’s great! Did you make your cookies? I haven’t yet but will soon. I see you and B-man have been very busy starting new threads together…LOL…I checked out the Chinese Cuisine thread last night, great recipes, thanks!
Just for fun check out this web-site.

The Swiss Colony www.SwissColony.com Enjoy and good eating!

My mom is Canadian, and she goes every fall to visit my grandmother in Moncton. She just got back, and these are the ESSENTIALS that she has to bring back every time - Bisto, Bick’s mixed pickles (monster jar!), crispy crunch (my dad finished the last one from last year while she was gone - talk about rationing!), and I was blessed with a shipment of Grand Manan dults. I can only eat a little at a time, because I swell up like a balloon.
One more necessity that isn’t food is A-535 rub - better than Ben-Gay!

I just recently returned from the United States and there were a few other things that I missed while I was gone. Things like A&W Teen burgers, ketchup chips, dill pickle chips, gummy worms, and any cadbury chocolate bar. They had some chocolate bars that were like my favourites here(Caramilk) but not quite the same. I did see cheez whiz on the counters at my grocery store, but I was leary of trying it, since it did’nt look like the cheez whiz that I was used to. There is one huge thing that I do miss from the States though, that you can not get here in Canada. SIERRA MIST! Sprite or 7-Up just are not the same. :smiley:

coffee crisp chocolate bars, big turk chocolate bars, laura secord chocolates, cadbury easter cream eggs, peameal bacon, and roast chicken potato chips are few that come to mind right away

i have a friend that’s 75 and sends her daughter all kinds of things that she can’t get in the states. will ask her.