Candied Pickles ?

Does anybody know of a brine that uses copper sulfate to turn the pickles blue and candy them ? I had some pickles a long long time ago, they were blue and just a sweet as candy. All I can remember about them was they used copper sulfate in the brine for the pickles. Anybody with any suggestions ?

Thank you

Copper sulfate was used years ago in pickling - but it is recommended that it NOT be used because it can be mildly poisonous when ingesting certain amounts. It was used in tinting candies, pickles, etc.

I have several recipes for candied pickles -

CANDIED DILL PICKLES

46 oz. jar dill pickles, drained and cut in chunks
1 1/2 c. sugar or 1 c. and 1/3 c. fructose
2/3 c. vinegar
1/2 c. water
2 tbsp. pickling spices

Boil sugar, vinegar, water, and pickling spices 1 minute. Cool slightly. Put pickles back in jar and pour the hot syrup over them. Store in refrigerator. Makes crunchy sweet pickle chunks.

CANDIED DILL PICKLES

1 qt. dill pickles
1/2 c. tarragon vinegar
2 3/4 c. sugar
2 tbsp. pickling spice

Use any dill pickles, regular, Kosher, or home canned. Drain pickles, cut in 1/2 inch slices. Combine vinegar, sugar and spices (put in cloth bag) with about 1/2 liquid from pickles. Add sliced pickles and let stand at room temperature for 1 week stirring occasionally (room temperature but cool). Return pickles to their jar and fill with syrup. Cover and refrigerate.

CANDIED PICKLES

1 gallon cucumbers
11 c. water
2 tbsp. alum
Vinegar
9 c. sugar
2 tbsp. pickling spice

Slice cucumbers and let stand in salt and water for 2 weeks. Drain, do not heat.

In one gallon water add alum and pour over pickles, let stand 24 hours. Then drain off alum water. Cover with vinegar and pickling spice and let stand for 24 hours. Drain and add 3 cups sugar for 3 mornings. Put into jars and be sure juice covers pickles. Boil lids and seal.

Thank you, they had mentioned it was poisonous but somehow they said they rinsed that away ? So I wonder is there another way to color the pickles so they turn blue without using the copper sulfate ? Thank you so much for the recipes it is greatly appreciated

You’re welcomed for the recipes - but years ago they used all sorts of arsenic-based items, lead, etc. to color foods to make them attractive. I think I would rather have the flavor than the look when it comes to that.

But copper sulfate was used a lot!

To ibcheft

I had a recipe for icicle pickles that uses copper sulphate. I chose to use #1 or #2 cucumbers to make sweet gherkin style pickles. I’ll see what I can find.

I have an old, old recipe for Icicle Pickles

The large cucumbers could be used as they are quartered. You will find they stay brittle.

Wash cucumbers and cut in quarters lengthwise. Soak in ice water for three hours. Drain. Pack into sterilized jars with three slices of onion, a slice of green pepper, a stalk of celery and one tablespoon ground mustard in each jar. Bring one quart vinegar, one cup sugar and one-half cup salt to boiling and pour over pickles. Seal while hot.

I also found this one - I haven’t tried this one yet - but I am planning to -

6 lbs. cucumbers
3 pt. vinegar
1 pt. water
3 c. sugar
3/4 c. salt
1 tsp. alum
Celery seed and onions

Cut cucumbers lengthwise in quarters and soak 2-3 hours in ice water.
Drain.
Pack into jars with a slice of onion on bottom and top.
Add 1 teaspoon celery seed to each jar.
Bring remaining ingredients to boil; pour hot liquid into jars and seal.
Allow to set for 1 month.

Yield: 6 pints.

Yum yum!!

There is also a recipe from Alton Brown called Koolickles. You add the Kool-aid drink packet flavor of your choice to a 46 oz jar of pickles. He featured the recipe on his short series on Food Network, “Feasting On Asphalt”, dining while on a motorcycle trip across the southern U.S.

[b][i]Kool-Aid Pickles - Koolickles

These were featured on the Food Network
show Feasting on Asphalt with Alton Brown
several years ago.

I adapted this recipe from several online recipes.

Prep time: 10 minutes
Soaking time: 24hrs to 1 week

1 - (46-ounce) jar whole dill pickles (not kosher due to garlic), drained
1 - cup granulated sugar
2 - cups water
2 - packets unsweetened Cherry Kool-Aid (the size that makes 2-quarts)

Drain the juice from the pickle jar. It’s not used in this recipe.
Remove the pickles from the jar and cut each one in half lengthwise.
This will allow the Kool-Aid color and flavor to soak into the pickles.
Return the pickles to the jar.
In a large bowl, combine sugar, water and the contents of the two Kool-Aid packets.
Mix until the sugar has completely dissolved.
Pour enough of the liquid into the pickle jar to cover the pickles.
Replace lid on jar and refrigerate at least 24 hours. Several days to a week is better.

Makes one 46-ounce jar of pickles.

You end up with a sweet, sour, salty pickle treat, similar to bread and butter pickles.

Source: inspited by Alton Brown, Food Network[/i][/b]

1 qt. any brand dill pickles
1 1/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. water
1/4 c. wine vinegar
1 tsp. celery salt
1/4 tsp. alum

Drain and rinse pickles several times - return to jar. Mix together all ingredients and pour over pickles. Seal tight and turn upside down for 12-24 hours. Keep refrigerated.