Candied Pickles ?

Does anybody know of a brine that uses copper sulfate to turn the pickles blue and candy them ? I had some pickles a long long time ago, they were blue and just a sweet as candy. All I can remember about them was they used copper sulfate in the brine for the pickles. Anybody with any suggestions ?

Thank you

Thank you, they had mentioned it was poisonous but somehow they said they rinsed that away ? So I wonder is there another way to color the pickles so they turn blue without using the copper sulfate ? Thank you so much for the recipes it is greatly appreciated

To ibcheft

I had a recipe for icicle pickles that uses copper sulphate. I chose to use #1 or #2 cucumbers to make sweet gherkin style pickles. I’ll see what I can find.

Yum yum!!

There is also a recipe from Alton Brown called Koolickles. You add the Kool-aid drink packet flavor of your choice to a 46 oz jar of pickles. He featured the recipe on his short series on Food Network, “Feasting On Asphalt”, dining while on a motorcycle trip across the southern U.S.

[b][i]Kool-Aid Pickles - Koolickles

These were featured on the Food Network
show Feasting on Asphalt with Alton Brown
several years ago.

I adapted this recipe from several online recipes.

Prep time: 10 minutes
Soaking time: 24hrs to 1 week

1 - (46-ounce) jar whole dill pickles (not kosher due to garlic), drained
1 - cup granulated sugar
2 - cups water
2 - packets unsweetened Cherry Kool-Aid (the size that makes 2-quarts)

Drain the juice from the pickle jar. It’s not used in this recipe.
Remove the pickles from the jar and cut each one in half lengthwise.
This will allow the Kool-Aid color and flavor to soak into the pickles.
Return the pickles to the jar.
In a large bowl, combine sugar, water and the contents of the two Kool-Aid packets.
Mix until the sugar has completely dissolved.
Pour enough of the liquid into the pickle jar to cover the pickles.
Replace lid on jar and refrigerate at least 24 hours. Several days to a week is better.

Makes one 46-ounce jar of pickles.

You end up with a sweet, sour, salty pickle treat, similar to bread and butter pickles.

Source: inspited by Alton Brown, Food Network[/i][/b]

1 qt. any brand dill pickles
1 1/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. water
1/4 c. wine vinegar
1 tsp. celery salt
1/4 tsp. alum

Drain and rinse pickles several times - return to jar. Mix together all ingredients and pour over pickles. Seal tight and turn upside down for 12-24 hours. Keep refrigerated.