Cherry Brown Sugar Fool
• 1 cup pitted fresh sweet cherries
• 1 teaspoon lemon juice
• 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
• 1 tablespoon sugar
• 2 tablespoons water
• 3/4 cups heavy cream
• 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with a baking mat (e.g. Silpat).
- In a small bowl, coat nuts with honey. Spread nuts on the baking mat. Bake 7 to 10 minutes, until golden. Transfer nuts to a bowl to cool. Coarsely chop, and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine cherries, lemon juice, almond extract, sugar and water. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until cherries begin to break down and juices boil and thicken, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and transfer to a small bowl. Place bowl in a larger bowl of ice water, and stir mixture occasionally until cold.
- In a separate bowl, combine cream, brown sugar, and vanilla and beat until stiff peaks form; fold in 1/3 cup of the cherry sauce. Combine, but not fully – there should be beautiful cherry streaks running through the fresh cream.
- Divide among four dessert dishes, and spoon remaining cherries over tops. Garnish with the honey almonds.
• 1/3 cup sliced almonds
• 1 tablespoon honey