Chicken Casserole

I made this casserole posted by Aline, and it was great! I doubled the recipe and froze one. It worked out very well. Just remove it from the foil (frozen), place in a glass pan, cover and thaw in the refrigerator…just like Aline said. It’s like a plate of Thanksgiving dinner.

I simmered six good size chicken breast (with skin and bones) with onions, celery, carrots, chicken base, and saffron for several hours. I removed the chicken and used for this recipe, discarded the veggies, defatted the broth and had a nice clear chicken broth. I added an 8 oz. bag of fine noodles to the broth and viola…better than Mrs. Weiss. It was a nice change.

I get a lot of out of town guests and have to cook ahead. This recipe is added to my list.

Chicken Casserole

*Another recipe clipping from people who sent recipes to our city’s newspaper in 1997.

Very tasty. I (recipe submitter) use chicken breasts that I have boiled with celery and onions and save stock for the future.

3 cups cooked chicken cut into bite-size pieces
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup margarine, melted
1/4 cup broth
1 pkg stuffing (reserve small amount for top)
1 onion, finely chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped and boiled until tender

Mix all ingredients lightly together. Place in buttered casserole dish and top with reserved stuffing. Bake 20 to 30 minutes at 350 F. May be made in advance and frozen.

Line casserole dish with heavy foil. Freeze - remove from dish. Wrap well and freeze until needed. Unwrap, put back in dish, thaw and bake.

Recipe makes two nice-size casseroles.