Chocolate Chip-Banana Cupcakes

I make these whenever we have over ripe bananas. Sometimes I think the family leaves a few bananas, just to get the muffins! Yummy! Hope you enjoy!

1 1/2 cups flour
   3/4 cup sugar
   1 1/2 tsp baking soda
   1/4 tsp salt
   1 1/4 cups mashed very ripe bananas (about 3 )
   1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
   1 large egg, at room temp
   3 Tbl buttermilk
   1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Sift flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt into bowl. In another bowl, whisk together mashed banana, melted butter, egg, and buttermilk. Add flour mixture and whisk until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips. Spoon into 14 paper lined muffin-pan cups. Bake at 350 until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Immediately invert onto wire rack.

NOTES: The first time I made these I did not have buttermilk on hand. I found a recipe to make Soured Milk, which was said to be able to sub for buttermilk in any recipe. I used that, and have since.

Soured Milk - In a glass measuring cup, place 1 Tbl fresh lemon juice OR distilled white vinegar, then pour in enough regular milk to equal 1 cup. Stir; let stand 5 minutes to thicken before using. ( I have always used the vinegar)

The only chocolate chips I had in the cupboard the first time I made these were mini semi-sweet chips, and so I used those. I never measure them, I always throw in a heaping handful! I have pretty big hands, I imagine it ends up being 1/2 to 3/4 cup of chips. They came out so delicious the first time... I have never made them any different. 

My oven cooks them perfect in only 20 minutes. The recipe calls for vanilla buttercream to top them but I have never topped them.