Clausen Kosher Dill Pickles

Clausen Kosher Dill Pickles

Ingredients:

2 dill flowers
2 garlic cloves, peeled & halved
1 1/4 lbs. (8−10) pickling cucumbers
6 long sprigs fresh dill
1 tbsp coarse kosher salt

Put dill flower and garlic in bottom of mason jar; add the cukes, put sprigs of dill in center of cukes, add salt, fill jar with half boiled water
that is now cool, and half vinegar to within 1/8th of top.

Put on seal and ring, shake to dissolve salt, set upside down on counter away from sunlight and heat. Let sit 4−5 days flipping the jar
either upright or upside down each day.

Let sit upright 2 more days then refrigerate.

Lasts about 6 months.

B-man :wink:

What kind of cucumbers do you recommend? My husband and I are starting a small garden and would like to try making dills, but can’t decide which cucumber variety to plant.:confused:

The Best kind of Pickles are The “Kirby”- a medium small pickle should cost between $.49-$.79 /lb- Maybe only 2 weeks of the year are they real cheap; and it’s season goes through end of july -mid/late August

Thanks for posting this. My son-in-law makes a spaghetti sauce using claussen dills. We are anxious to try this recipe for the pickles. What size mason jar do you use?

Wow! So much misinformation! First of all, I can tell you right off the bat this doesn’t replicate Claussens recipe for the simple fact there are no spices! You can clearly see every Claussen pickle jar has spices…celery seed, mustard seed…and several more!
One “chef” states…you can use ANY cucumber! I can also tell you that person is highly unlikely a chef!! Any professional chef knows pickling cucumbers do not have WAX unlike any other cucumber! You CANNOT pickle a waxed cucumber and achieve any reputable result!
I think the best way to go about this is first taking a look at a Claussens pickle jar…it states many of the ingredients! Those which are not stated can visibly be confirmed. Now it’s just a matter of getting the ratios correct…and that can only be achieved by trial and error as Claussens is not about to post their signature recipe!