cookies are flat not soft & round

Lately my chocolate chip cookies have been flat and crispy. I would like to get them rounded & soft (like they used to be!). The recipe uses oleo and oil. Eggs and oleo are at room temp. Any ideas to get them puffed up? Thank you.

Hi Iltcap!

Ah…chocolate chip cookies. Someone is speaking my language!

In addition to Kitchen Witch’s great advice I would like to add just a couple of things.

The number one thing you can do to help the spread of your cookies is to refrigerate the dough. Anywhere from 2-36 hours is best and the longer it chills the better. Cold dough will spread less as it cooks in the oven, and you will be amazed at how much better they taste.

Secondly, I have a recipe that uses half butter and half butter flavored shortening. The shortening takes longer to melt and spread out making a thicker moister cookie.

You also mentioned that you “used to” get thicker softer cookies. Have you recently moved to a new altitude? Altitude makes a huge difference in your baking. Anything 3000 ft above sea level is considered high altitude and alterations need to be made. Vice versa if you are already using a high altitude recipe and live at a lower altitude you need to make some changes. Reduce leavening agents in a high altitude and increase in a lower. But just slightly.

One more thought. Baking soda spreads cookies much further on the sheet than a double acting baking powder. I use the powder is all my cookies. Big difference. Soda has a tendency to react too quickly, even before you get it in the oven, and that will make it spread more.

Here is my Best Recipe to try:

INGREDIENTS:

½ Cup unsalted butter
½ Cup Butter Flavored Shortening
1 Cup packed Brown Sugar
½ Cup Granulated Sugar
2 Eggs
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
½ tsp Almond Extract (optional)
1 tsp Fine Sea Salt or 1 1/4 tsp Kosher Salt
2 tsp Baking Powder
2 ¼ Cups All-Purpose Flour
1 package 10-12 oz Chocolate Chips
1 cup coarsely chopped nuts (optional)

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 375°.
In a separate glass bowl, sift or mix dry ingredients together(flour, salt, and baking powder). Set aside.
In a new glass bowl microwave butter and shortening until soft and can be stirred. Do not melt! Stir butters until blended.
Cream softened butters and sugars together on medium speed with mixer until light and fluffy.
Add eggs one at a time, beating between each egg.
Add extracts and mix until well blended.
With mixer on, add dry ingredients in small amounts and mix just until blended.
Add chocolate chips.
Drop 1 ½” dough balls onto greased or parchment lined cookie sheet.
Bake 8-9 minutes or until edges are golden brown. (just the edges!)Let the cookies sit on cookie sheet 3-5 minutes before transferring to wire rack.
Start over on cool cookie sheet.

Try these tips and there should be a noteable difference.