Cream of Celery Hamburger and Rice

1 lb ground beef
1 can cream celery soup
1 1/2 cans water
1 1/2 cup rice
1 jar mushrooms
1 can water chestnuts
salt and pepper to taste

Cook ground beef over medium heat, stirring to crumble meat, until meat is brown. Add soup and water stirring well. Add rice, mushrooms and chestnuts. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.

Oh my gosh, this is so from the '50’s. It’s also one of the only casseroles my husband will eat (he doesn’t know what he’s missing out on so we eat the good ones on our own).

Some differences: I use 1 full bunch of celery & 2 large onions, washed & chopped. Toss in a ban with a bit of butter if you’re being decadent or just some water to steam & soften them. Add ground beef (I use 1 1/2 pounds, brown thoroughly.

Grease or spray a 9x12 pan.

I use 2 cups of REGULAR long grain white rice (not instant or quick cooking) I also use 2 soup cans of water & the can of cream of celery but also a can of cream of chicken. Mushrooms are a must in this family but we prefer fresh ones that have been cooked, just toss them in. Not big water chestnuts lovers here, though friends like, so we eliminate.

Pour meat, celery, onion mixture in pan, add all else right from box or cans, water also, stir it around & toss in the oven for 45-60 min. Stir 1/2 way through. Taste after 45 min to see if rice is done, if not, cover with foil & bake 15 min. more. YUMMMMMM!!!

Thanks neb for reminding me. We should mention to all that it freezes extremely well so double the recipe & use a much larger pan, or even 2. Oh A must for fall (if that season ever gets here!)

Looks nice! Plus this has Almond’s thumbs up. I’ll give this a shot.