1 ½ lb haddock fillet
3 oz. onions finely chopped
1 clove garlic finely chopped
2 oz. butter
1 small dessert apple chopped
1 level tablespoon curry powder
4 level teaspoons flour
½ pint milk
½ pint stock (may be made from a chicken stock cube)
4 oz. chopped tomatoes
1 oz. sultanas
2 level teaspoons tomato purée
2 level tablespoons sweet chutney
1 piece stem ginger chopped
Salt and pepper
4 – 6 oz. long grain rice
- Remove the skin and cut the fish into 1 inch squares.
- Fry the onions and garlic gently in the butter for about 5 minutes. Add the apple and the cloves, and then continue cooking for a few minutes. Stir in the curry powder and cook for 2 minutes, then stir in the flour and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the milk and stock, then, stirring continuously, bring to the boil and cook until the sauce thickens.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, sultanas, tomato purée, chutney, chopped ginger, salt and pepper. Cover and cook gently for 10 minutes. Stir in the fish and cook for a further 10 – 15 minutes until the fish is tender.
- Check the seasoning of the curry and serve with the rice, garnished with lemon wedges.
NB. A good way to use up cold chicken is to make this same sauce and add chopped chicken instead of fish at stage 4.