Do Low Carb diets really work?

I bought both South Beach diet books. I actually did not need them. I
simply started by not eating bread, pasta, rice or potatoes. I did not
eliminate my morning donut and coffee. It was very easy. In fact the
only weight loss I have ever been able to do. You can take the bread off
a burger and still eat the tomatoes,onions etc… You will be surprised to find that it is really good and you will not miss the bread. the pasta, I
just eat the meatballs or italian sausage. I skip rice except for a tablespoon with chop suey. I don’t miss the potatoes and I was a big
potatoe eater. It is funny because if you do decide to cheat you won’t
be able to eat all of your meal. You just don’t have a taste for the bread,
pasta,rice or potatoes. I lost 30 pounds in 2 months. I feel great.

Dear Ron,

I’ve tried a low carb diet that my doctor put me on. I’m 50 years old and let me tell you it didn’t work. It almost killed me, so I went back to my regular way of eating and I feel better than before the diet. The low carb diet isn’t for me. It’s ok for some people, but not all of us. I’d advise people to be careful when trying it.

Sincerely

cherokee_star_555555@yahoo.com

I’m a 57 year old woman who has experienced many years of the yo-yo syndrome…gaining and losing over and over again. FINALLY, as of this year I am the healthiest I have ever been and my weight is almost perfect. I am confident I will now have the power and the tools to keep it under control for the rest of my life. I joined Weight Watchers and followed the program to the letter. The “difficult” weight came tumbling down as my energy level elevated. It is a very sensible and healthy approach where one is not denied any foods. This is the first “diet” I have EVER been on where will power was a small factor. The Atkins diet scares the heck out of me because of all the fat, and I have heard horror stories of people who ended up with heart problems. Good luck to all. I have FINALLY discovered the magic formula…it’s a piece of cake! :smiley:

It’s like anything else it works extremely well for some and not for others. Like another person said there is no replacement for exercise and it is true. My mother lost like 60 pounds on dr. atkins diet, she has since tried it again to lose more weight and it is not working the same as it did for the 1st 60 she lost. I personally don’t feel you should ever cut anything out, I think you should limit your intake. It’s a craze, soon they will come out saying that carbs are good and everyone will be on the carb bandwagon, it’s all a matter of opinion and personal preference. I say do what works for you.

ABOLUTELY GREAT. Lost about 80 lbs from 285 to 204. Have since went maintenance have been able to stay at 204 - 210 with 50 - 60 grams of carbs. Still do not eat any bread. Was on strict diet for only 4weeks lost 21 lbs the gradually increased carb intake. Whole process ha s taken six months along with exercise 3x per week . Baldy

I agree. Moderation and exercise is what works.

I have known people who initially lost but then gained it back when they resumed a normal lifestyle. I have lost 30 pounds in the past three years and I have lost it slowly and I am keeping it off. I educated myself regarding pursuing a healthier lifestyle: Prevention magazine has been a great resource. For regular exercise, I do Leslie Sanson’s Walk Away the Pounds videos. The key is being consistent and finding what works for you. I just don’t think living on eggs and meat for the rest of your life is desirable or healthy. Use the food pyramid. Serve yourself the portion sizes that are on the product itself. Keep a food diary and become aware of how many calories you consume in a day; you’ll probably be surprised at justs how much you are eating! You won’t have to keep the food diary forever as you’ll become aware of the high calorie foods to avoid or limit and the more desirable healthier choices. Limit sweets but don’t deprive yourself totally. If you do low-fat, you still have to count the calories. Drink water too but you don’t have to drink gallons of it either. Again, I’ve found balance is the key. My daughter and I both say we graze like cows as we eat 5 or 6 mini-meals throughout the day. I rarely drink sodas but I do with low-fat sweet kettle popcorn!!! I try not to eat after 5PM or 6PM but sometimes a social engagement interferes and so be it; I move on to the next day come tomorrow morning. It’s a lifestyle change and a matter of making right choices for your body. I work in the healthcare industry and yes, you are what you eat. Overeating/being overweight creates and/or contributes to numerous health concerns and many people are killing themselves by making wrong choices. You cannot eat the way your family ate years ago; our lifestyles have changed and our food choices have to change too. :smiley: