Don Pablo's famous corn cake recipe :)

Here’s your Don Pablo’s Corn Cake Recipe

1/2 cup softened butter (do not substitute)
1/3 cup corn flour
1/4 cup water
1 10oz can creamed corn
1/4 cup corn meal
1/3 cup sugar
2 tbsp heavy whipping cream (I use regular milk)
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder

In a medium bowl use an electric mixer to beat butter until creamy. Add corn flour and water and beat until mixed well. Stir in corn.

In another bowl, mix cornmeal, sugar cream, salt and baking powder. Add to corn mixture and stir to combine. Pour batter into an ungreased 8x8 pan. Cover tightly with aluminum foil. Place pan into a 9 x 13 baking pan that is filled 1/3 with hot water.

Bake at 350 degrees F (175C) for 50 - 60 minutes. Allow to cool 10 minutes. Use an ice cream scoop to remove. Server warm.

NOTE: The secret to getting it creamy like Don Pablo’s is the steaming so it is important to bake it covered and inside a pan of water.

Corn cakes are hard to make! Mine always come back soupy. Any suggestions?

I love the corn pudding from DP’s. Am anxious to try it. Will let you know how it turns out. Will be making it with chicken enchilada’s. HMMM sounds good to me!

You can also make Mexican restaurant sweet corn cakes in the microwave in 15-minutes.

Microwave Mexican Restaurant Sweet Corn Cakes

Makes 6 cups, 12 servings - On table in 15-minutes

[i]Copy Cat Recipe. I wanted a quick recipe to copy the sweet corn cakes (Mexican spoon bread) that are served at Mexican restaurants like El Torito and Chi Chi’s. This is ready to eat in about 15 minutes. For a less sweet dish, reduce granulated sugar to 1/3 cup. For a firmer sweet corn cake, microwave an additional 3-minutes.

If you’ve never had these at a Mexican restaurant, they are similar to a firm, sweet, grits or polenta, with a corn tortilla flavor.
The corn tortilla flavor comes from the masa harina flour.[/i]

Ingredients

1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/4 cup masa harina flour (or 3 corn tortillas, uncooked, - process in food processor to fine bits, use in place of masa harina)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

2 cups milk
1 cup water
1 (15 ounce) can creamed corn
1 egg, beaten
4 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted

Directions

Stir all dry ingredients together in mixing bowl, mix well and set aside until needed.
Mix all wet ingredients together in another bowl. Stir until well mixed.
Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir out any dry lumps in batter.

Pour into a 3-quart covered, microwaveable casserole dish.

Cover and microwave on high for 6-minutes.

Stir well. Stir bottom and sides of dish well to remove any dry lumps.

Cover and microwave on high for another 6-minutes.

Stir a few times and serve warm using an ice cream scoop or disher.

This gets thicker as it cools and reaches room temperature. If you want a more
gritty sweet corn cake, use polenta corn meal instead of regular corn meal.

As I recall, Don Pablo’s sweet corn cake has a hint of finely chopt jalapeno - just enough to make it interesting.

As I recall, Don Pablo’s sweet corn cake had a hintof finely chopt jalapeno - just enough to give it some interest … but not even close setting your hair on fire.

This looks nice. Would try it this weekend. Cooking together with my GF.