Empty nest syndrome, need to learn to cut WAY back on portions. Ckg for one is hard

It is so hard to cook for just for myself. I cook something and I have to eat it morning noon and night for a week. Now I love leftovers, but not the same leftover for days. Any suggestions.

I am in the same boat. Freezing has been my solution as well. I even bought a small chest freezer and it works amazingly well. I have been surprised at what freezes: cooked rice, quinoa, beans, and even mashed potatoes and caramelized onions. I love to cook so usually do make at least enough for 4 servings. I divide everything into single serving portions, freeze individually on a sheet pan and then wrap (I have a vacuum sealer which is also a life saver for me), label and put in the freezer. Even meat is cooked and portioned-shredded chicken, pork, ground beef for quick additions to the rice or into a soup. Big cuts of meat that are best cooked and eaten, such as steaks, area treat for me, but I cut those items into appropriate sizes and freeze when raw. The small serving thaws quickly and I get to eat a delicious fresh cooked main course.

A large scooper works for things like rice, muffin tins work for other stuff. It really helps to have these staples already cooked and portioned. I just add some fresh veggies and a salad.

yumm thanks a bunch for thsi ideas guys really

Hi!
Being single I’m kind of in the same boat and though freezing is a great idea, I always find that unless you eat it in the next few days anyway, it tends to get that freezer taste to it that I just can’t stand. Of course it depends on what you’re freezing but I recently bought a food vacuum sealer and I have to say, it makes a world of difference! I even vacuum seal some foods (like meat) that are going in the fridge because they stay fresher longer and always tastes as if you just bought it. You can even vacuum seal your meats with a marinade and it really does help to absorb the flavors faster and better!
They really aren’t that expensive anymore but even so, I think it’s well worth the investment, especially if you have a lot of leftovers or freeze a lot of food.
Just a thought… :slight_smile: