fish batter

Looking for help again.I was just given a lot of fresh fish that would be great deep fried.Can anyone help with a good batter that won’t absorbthe grease from the deep fryer.Thanks to all.

First of all - if frying is done right, the oil is not absorbed to any great, greasy extent by the food being fried.

Dont’ go listening to all those TV commercials about which oil is best, etc. - this is all the cook’s doings - not the oil’s!

The time of food exposure to oil should be brief, and the temperature just right to brown the crust and cook through to the center. If the oil temperature is too high, the crust will overbrown before the inside of the food is cooked. And if the oil temperature is too low, then the food will absorb too much of the oil and be greasy as frying time is necessarily extended.

Frying is actually classified as a ‘‘dry’’ cooking method, meaning no water, stock or wine are used during the process. Oil is the medium for carrying heat to the food in an uncovered pan. Depending on the food, frying can be done in a little oil (sauteed or stir-fried), a medium amount (shallow frying) or a lot of oil (deep frying).

Pan-Fried Fish

3/4 cup vegetable oil

1 garlic clove, peeled, halved

1-1/2 pounds firm-fleshed white fish fillets

1/3 cup flour

1/4 cup yellow cornmeal

1 teaspoon seasoned salt

1/8 teaspoon ground pepper

1 egg

2 tablespoons water or beer

Yield: 4 to 6 servings

Prep time: 30 minutes

In a large, heavy-bottomed skillet, heat oil to 375 degrees. Place both halves of the peeled garlic clove in oil as it rises in temperature.

Meanwhile, rinse fish and pat dry; set aside. In a large, shallow bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, seasoned salt and pepper. In small shallow bowl, beat egg with water or beer until well blended. Using a fork or wooden skewer, spear both garlic pieces in oil and discard.

Dip fish in egg mixture, letting excess drip off. Dredge in the cornmeal mixture, coating both sides.

Fry 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily with a fork and crust is golden brown. Drain on paper towels.

Please check our SEARCH - we have threads for deep frying (type in deep fryer), and many, many batter and breading recipes (type in breading or coating or batter). I know you will find a recipe that suites you.

KW

Also - do not crowd your fish - fry in batches if you have to. That is another way for them not to absorb too much grease and they will also crisp better.

Hi . . .
Just returned from a weeklong family trip to a small lake where we caught a bunch of bass/panfish. Everybody loved the fish I prepared in the following manner (brought my 1-gallon oil capacity deep fryer with me) . . . it couldn’t be easier and the fish comes out crispy with barely any oil residue, and a great flavor. Make as much of the simple coating as you want and keep it in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer. Don’t have a deep fryer? Use a dutch oven on top of the stove and fill halfway (no more) with canola, peanut or vegetable oil and heat the oil using a deep fry thermometer that attaches to the side of the pan.

Ingredients:
Boneless, skinless (that’s how I do it . . . you can scale the fish and leave the skin on if you prefer) Panfish/Bass filets, patted dry with paper towel.

Coating mix: 1 part Lemon Pepper seasoning, 3 parts all-purpose flour

Whole egg, beaten . . . as many as needed

Directions:
Heat oven to 200 degrees. Start heating oil to 375 degrees. In a shallow dish, beat egg. In a separate shallow dish, add some of the coating mix. Dip fish in beaten egg and let excess drip off before completely coating in coating mix. Set aside on a single layer on sheetpan (or whatever) lined with waxed paper until coating gets “gummy” or wet all the way through, about 5 minutes. Fry 5-6 pieces at a time until lightly brown, about 3-5 minutes depending on the thickness of the filets. Drain on paper-towel lined plate. Immediately season lightly with salt. Transfer to oven to keep warm while frying remaining fish. Serve with tarter sauce. Enjoy!