fried chicken

looking for the best fried chicken recipe, without pressure frying

Some of the recipes on here for fried chicken are to die for!

I dont know how to work this site jet

I’ll share my mother in law’s recipe: ([SIZE=“1”]don’t tell her - she’ll kill me if she found out!! :shock: )

(Ca.-amounts - adjust to taste).

1 whole chicken - cut in 8 pieces.

2½ - 3 cups all-purpose flour
4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
4 tsp salt
3 tsp onion powder
2 tsp garlicpowder
2 tsp chicken-seasoning (or just dried sage)
oil for frying.[/SIZE]

My favourite way to fry chicken is to soak the pieces in buttermilk overnight, fry in Vegetable shortening, then finish them in the oven. YUM!

What …?? :eek: No breading!?! :confused:

Boil the chicken 50% cook then fried it! :wink:

First off, mix a buttermilk brine and soak the chicken parts in it for at least 8 hours.

Buttermilk brine is just buttermilk and salt, usually 1tbsp/cup. You’ll need enough to cover your chicken, though if you use ziploc bags, you’ll be able to get away with less since the goal is to cover the chicken completely.

After you’ve soaked your chicken, put it on a rack in the fridge and let the surface dry out a bit. 1-2 hours tops.

You’ll want a well seasoned, craggy, crackling coating.

Cook’s Magazine had a really good recipe for doing this a few issues ago, but I can’t find that right now.

Basically, though, it comes down to layers.

Coat with cornstarch/flour. Use a ziplock bag to do the coating.

Coat with (well scrambled) egg.

Then, coat with your seasoned coating:

I’d use (for each chicken’s worth of parts):

2c Flour
2tbsp Salt
1tbsp (fine ground) Black Pepper
1tbsp Garlic Powder
1tbsp Onion Powder
1tbsp Paprika
1tsp Cayenne
1tsp MSG (Accent)

You can do this in a ziploc (or paper) bag as well.

After you’ve done the coating, you want to drop them in the hot oil (375° F) pretty soon after. If you don’t cook them right away, the salt in the coating will leach the moisture out of the chicken and cause the coating to bubble and fall off.

I own a restaurant in an office building setting; therefore, my customers are daily repeats. I came up with a quick, easy way to make “fried” chicken and it’s one that is requested constantly from the customers. It’s really simple. Here it is:

• Buy bone-in, skin-Chicken Breasts and Thighs
  • Dip in whipped egg
  • Next, dip in Italian Seasoned Bread Crumbs (I use Viga Italian bread crumbs from Sam’s Club)
  • Pop in the oven at 350 degrees for 1/2 hour
  • At the half-hour mark, take out the pan and using a pasty brush (I use one of those silicone brushes) generously brush down the chicken with vegetable oil. (That’s what will ‘fry’ the chicken in the oven.)
  • Put the chicken back in and cook another 1/2 hour or until the juices run clear.
    This method keeps the chicken really moist and it’s really good and simple.