funnelcakes

I keep hearing about funnelcakes,can anyone tell me what they are?
If you have made them and they are good perhaps you would share a
recipe with those of us who haven’t tried them.Thanks for past help.

Hi Nanny. Funnel cakes are great! So simple to make and oh so good! You can also top with pie filling & whipped cream for an extra special treat, but I like them plain with powdered sugar sprinkled on top.

FUNNEL CAKES

1 1/4 cup sifted flour
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 egg
3/4 cup milk

Sift together dry ingredients. Mix egg and milk and add to dry ingredients. Stir until smooth. Pour oil into a skillet and heat to 375°. Holding finger over the end of a funnel, pour in 1/4 cup batter. Holding over the hot oil, remove finger and let drizzle over the hot oil. As batter flows, move funnel in a circle to form a spiral cake. Fry about 2 minutes on each side, turning once until golden brown. Remove from oil and drain. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, glaze or nuts. Makes 6 cakes.

nanny37 -

Funnel cakes are delicious! The reason they are called “funnel” cakes is the fact that the batter is “drizzled” from a funnel into hot fat to deep fry. You need to keep your finger under the funnel opening while filling and when done swirling into the hot fat. You do not need to use a funnel - you can use a “lipped” measurine cup for pouring if desired. You can make all kinds of shapes this way.

There are several recipes on site - please go to search and type in “funnel cakes” and you will see several.

Kids of all ages enjoy these! I think you will too!

KW