German cuissine (KARTOFFELKLOBE) P.S. might be of another country

i have recipe in german language for this Kartoffelklobe in halb und halb,holsteinisch,pfalzisch,schlesisch,schwedisch,bayrisch and schwabisch, i`m trying to translate the language, is hard i would apreciated one of this recipe so i could try it it seem to be very interesting, if not thank for thinking about it or looking at it, have great holidays to all

Go to the Bable Fish website for translations. Its great! I use it when I have to write to my German relatives and I use it to translate when the write to me. Your recipe is for German Potato Balls. Bable Fish Website. AltaVista - Babel Fish Translation
Good Luck, cgclemons

yes they are potato balls we eat the one with no taste into them don’t get me wrong they are very good, just wanted to taste some difference taste the picture look very promising again thank for a reply i will look into translate this to english or french from the site bable fish website

Hi Vincent,

I love raw potato dumplings, pork, sauerkraut and cabbage. It’s been a New Year’s Day traditional dinner for our family since I can remember. My problem is that my grandmother and mother made the dumplings by feel and there really wasn’t (isn’t) a recipe (at least for ours).

I found this recipe on the internet (forgot where), and made changes to achieve the flavors that I remember. It’s pretty good.

Paula

SAUERKAUT POTATO DUMPLINGS

2 lbs. peeled potatoes (weight is after peeled)
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
3 cups or more of instantized (Wondra) flour – this type of flour mixes instantly.
1 lb. diced ham
1 medium to large onion - diced
1 teaspoon caraway seeds
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 (32 oz.) jar sauerkraut
½ head cooked cabbage or canned cabbage (see 9 below)
1 jar pork gravy
1 cup or less sour cream

Start a large pot of water to boil.

1. Grate raw potatoes and drain. (I used a food processor – first, I shredded the potatoes and then put them back in and pulverized them. I drained them in a colander and pressed the mixture against the sides and bottom with my fist to push out liquid.)

2. Add salt, eggs and flour to grated potatoes and mix well (mixture should be fairly solid. Add more flour, if necessary, but not too much – you don’t want rocks.

3. Form dumplings into balls (about the size of a lime). Coat your hands with flour as you’re making the dumplings. Place them on a piece of wax paper (sprayed lightly with PAM).

4. Drop dumplings into salted boiling water. Allow to cook for 8-10 minutes making sure that they don’t stick to the bottom of pot. They will float to the top. Check one for doneness. There shouldn’t be flour in center.

5. Remove dumplings with a skimmer and set aside in a bowl.

6. In a large pan heat approximately 6 tablespoons oil over medium heat.

7. Add diced ham, onions, caraway seeds and pepper, and allow to cook for 10 minutes and until onions are transparent.

8. Increase heat to high, add sauerkraut (drain half the juice before adding) and mix well with ham. Cook for about 20 minutes stirring often.

9. Add ½ head of chopped cooked cabbage and liquid. (I cook mine in about a half cup of water with one beef bouillon cube or ½ teaspoon of beef base and about a half teaspoon of caraway seeks, and salt and pepper to taste.) Alternatively, you can add a can of “Glory” Seasoned Southern Style Country Cabbage. – it’s good. Allow to cook for about 5 minutes.

10. Add sour cream and pork gravy, and mix well until creamy.

11. Reduce heat to low, add dumplings, mix and cover. Cook for 20-30 minutes stirring periodically.

You can make this a day or two before. After following above, pour mixture in a large enough casserole dish and refrigerate. Remove from ‘frig and let stand for a half hour. Heat oven to 225 degrees, and warm covered dumplings for approximately a half hour to forty-five minutes until heated through. Stir as needed.