Gonnella bread

In Chicago we could get Gonnella bread which is perfect for Chicago-style Italian roast beef sandwiches. The bread is an Italian bread which is soft and quite airy. Can anyone help me? I have tried many recipes, but none quite make it.

I don’t have the recipe, but you are ABSOLUTELY correct! That is one of the best hard type (but soft inside), crispy rolls that have the right consistency for Italian beef sandwiches. I also use them for Italian sausage, and rip them up for cheese fondue. The other Chicago based roll is Turano. They are fantastic for same as above, as well as for subs. I’ve eaten in a lot of places, and the Chicago area has the best rolls, the best Vienna sandwich spots, definitely Pizza, and Mexican foods…now I’m hungry!

I finally found a recipe that produces bread similar, not exactly the same, as Gonnella. I made Chicago style Italian roast beef and this bread. It was as close to the real deal as I am likely to get here in Thailand.

Baguette
Ingredients
Day Before:
• 1 1/2 cups bread flour
• 3/4 cup warm water
• 1/4 teaspoon instant yeast
In a bowl mix the “day before” contents together with a wooden spoon. The dough will form a stiff ball. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to sit on the counter overnight or 12 -16 hours.
Day of:
• 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups bread flour
• 1/3 cup lukewarm water
• 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 2 teaspoon liquid honey
• 1/4 teaspoon instant yeast
The next morning place this fermented mixture into a larger bowl. Add in the water, honey and instant yeast. Mix with a wooden spoon till smooth and wet. Allow to rest for 10 minutes uncovered.
Add in the salt and half the flour; mix well. Place dough on a flat, floured surface. Knead for 8 min. while slowly adding (about a tsp. at a time) more flour till dough no longer sticks to your hands and is smooth and elastic. Pour a tablespoon of oil into a clean bowl and place the dough in. Turn over a few times to lightly coat all sides. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rest for about 1 1/2 hours or till doubled in size.
Pour out the dough and cut into 2 equal sizes. Press down with your fingers to remove some of the gas. Cover with plastic wrap again for 15 minutes. Now, start to roll the dough like a jelly roll. Be sure that the roll is tight. Pinch the seam closed and then roll with the palms of your hand to make a log shape about `12 inches long. Sprinkle two lines on a piece of parchment paper with cornmeal. Place the baguette breads onto each line of cornmeal. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rest for 1 hour. Place your baking stone into the middle shelf of the oven. Place a cast iron pan onto the bottom of the oven and turn on the oven to 425 degrees. Just before placing the dough into the oven bring a cup and a half of water to a boil. Remove the plastic wrap and with a sharp knife make 6-7 slashes on top of each loaf. Place onto the hot baking stone and pour the boiling water into the cast iron pan. Close the door and allow to bake for 25 minutes or till golden brown. To see if the baguettes are done, tap the bottom of the loaf and if it sounds hollow it’s baked. Place onto a wire rack and allow to cool.

Just to note that do not use tap water. Tap water has chlorine to kill bacteria and yeast is essentially bacteria. Use filtered or bottled water to cure the yeast.

Also just have to comment, when I look for Italian Beef or sausage I look for only Gonnella bread. Turano is just not as good. Also if you are in Chicago look for Fontano’s deli. They have the best Italian sandwiches; no Sandwiches! in the world and use Gonnella bread.

I use tap water all the time without any adverse effect. I like Carm’s for Italian beef in Chicago. Actually, It is in Berwyn.

Alessandro Gonnella mass was like many Italian-Americans - that is cooked. Founded in 1886, cooking fresh Gonnella is Italian and French specialty breads to the grocery store and restaurants in the Midwest. The Chicago-based company also makes frozen dough and frozen fresh bread for bakeries in the stores and restaurants.

Alessandro Gonnella mass was like many Italian-Americans - that is cooked. Gonnella Baking Company is a baker of Italian and French style bread that operate primarily in the Chicago area.Gonnella has been a leading manufacturer of bakery products more than a century, including the one bread and rolls in the oven, freshly baked breads frozen.