Grand Mothers Southern Fried Chicken

I found this recipe of my grand mothers on one of my Cd’s the other day and it is what we are going to have for dinner this afternoon. She used pure lard and believe me it was so good and fattening Yum!!! I have used Peanut oil instead of pure lard, but some how it just taste better with the pure lard. I will use the Peanut oil tonight as I am out of pure lard, it is getting hard to fine all of a sudden.

Marinade
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp. hot sauce (Tabasco)
1 to 1-1/2 tsp. salt

1 3lb. fryer cut up
1 small can evaporated milk
1 large egg
1 tsp. salt or to taste
1 tsp. pepper
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups pure lard
1/4 cup bacon drippings

Marinade: Combine the buttermilk, Tabasco and salt and in a deep bowl and marinade for 8 hours. Cover with plastic wrap.

Combine evaporated milk, egg in a bowl and whip together. Mix flour, salt and pepper in a bowl. Dredge chicken in the egg mixture then flour mixture, then egg mixture and the flour mixture. Place on foil for 20 minutes to let set. Heat lard and bacon drippings in a 12" cast iron skillet, or a non-stick 12" skillet. Add chicken a few pieces a time skin side down. cover and cook 6 minutes; uncover and cook for 9 minutes. Turn chicken pieces; cover and cook 6 minutes. Uncover and cook 5 - 9 minutes, turning during the last 3 minutes for even browning. Drain on paper towels.

I will have home made buttermilk biscuits made with pure lard and cornbread muffins. Also some fresh creamed corn, collards, fresh black-eyed peas for dessert Lemon/Orange pound cake home made, coffee and tea.:slight_smile: