Grand Union Buffalo Chicken Nuggets

As a kid/teenager I remember that the local Grand Union Supermarket in Ft. Lee NJ had the best Chicken Nuggets I have ever had.

I been looking for the recipe and havent had any luck.

Does anyine know what I’m referring to and if you know how they’re made that would be great.

They were breaded chunks and we tangy, can out my finger on waht was in them

Did you ever get a recipe? I am obsessing over those nuggets too. I’m about to drive to the nearest grand union, it’s like 2 hours from Fort Lee.

Not sure if the nuggets are the same as their Buffalo wings, but here’s my take on their wings.

Coating:
1 cup cake flour (AP is ok also)
1 tablespoon table salt
2 teaspoons mustard powder
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
½ teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon smoked or sweet paprika
½ teaspoon thyme
¼ teaspoon baking powder

Buffalo Sauce:
2 tablespoons butter, melted
2 tablespoons oil (olive, canola, or vegetable)
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 ½ tablespoon Franks Red Hot sauce
1 teaspoon soy sauce
½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

Directions:

Separate 12 full wings into pieces (see Alton Brown’s video on foodnetwork dot com) and discard the wing tips (or cook them also as an extra treat.)

Don’t bother rinsing the wings. That would wash the pectin off the wings. You need the pectin to help the coating to stick. So, take the coating mix and add to the zip top bag. Shake to mix. Add the chicken pieces and shake to coat the wings completely. Leave the wings in the bag.

Add the oil to the pot and place on high. Now, dump all the buffalo wing sauce ingredients into the mixing bowl and mix (I use a stick blender for convenience sake). Set it aside till we’re ready to use.

Toss the wings one more time and pull from the bag. Spread the wings out on a plate and let them sit until the oil comes up to temp (325 to 350 deg.).

Once the oil is at temp, gently place the wings into the oil and deep fry for 20 to 25 min. As the wings are cooking, turn the oven on to 300 deg.

Pull the wings and drain on a paper towel for a minute. In the meantime, give the sauce another mix to ensure it is combined. Add the wings and toss to coat. Pull the wings and place onto the baking sheet. Keep the bowl we’ll need it again.

Place the wings into the oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and put back into the bowl. Toss a second time, getting that last drop of the sauce. Dump back onto the baking sheet and back into the oven for another 5 minutes. Save the mixing bowl again.

Finally, pull the wings and dump back into the bowl. Cover with aluminum foil or a plate for 5 to 10 min. and you’re done.

It seems like a lot of steps, but they replicate the cheap sauce, the quick cooking and the sitting under the warming lights until you bought the wings. Just as I member them…

I hope you enjoy !!!
John