Grilling a whole rib eye

I need to make a whole rib eye on the grill this weekend. It is about 12 pounds and I intended to use a spit. Someone told me all the juices would leak out the hole caused by the piercing of the spit. I will be using a gas grill. Anyone done this I could use some help such as cooking times, rubs or marinades.

I use apple cider vinegar to marinate. Tenderizes. And then I coat with Montreal Steak seasoning. Use it on ANYTHING beef. Grill as you would any loin 5-7 min per pound. I sear all sides directly on high heat grill and then move to low side of grill for above time. You will have medium to MW on ends and rare in middle still!

Know your weekend is over, but I just joined.

If you can get your grill very low, say 200 degrees or just under, then slow cook it. It will have that nice “bark” on the outside but you will not drive the juices out with like with high heat. The heat will sear the meat around the spit.

The best way I have found to make prime rib is in my smoker with no marinate. I put apple juice in the water pan (a can of coke may be added also for a hint of sweetness) and NO smoking chips, and cook at 250 for until the internal temperature reaches 125. The meat will be medium on each end and rare in the middle. We eat the ends and freeze the rest. Then when we pull from the freezer we heat it just enough to make it medium rare.

It is the closest in texture and taste as what you get at good steak restaurant like Steak and Ale or Longhorn.

f you can get your grill very low, say 200 degrees or just under, then slow cook it. It will have that nice “bark” on the outside but you will not drive the juices out with like with high heat. The heat will sear the meat around the spit.

Looks logical to me. I’ll try that this weekend. Pretty sure it will have positive results.