Hard-Boiled Eggs

If you’re not sure if an egg is properly hard-boiled, simply spin it. If it’s not fully cooked, it will wobble.

When hard-cooking eggs in the shell, never place them in boiling water. This will almost always cause them to crack due to the sudden change in temperature.

Slow-cook eggs to help prevent the egg white from becoming tough and rubbery. Simply place the eggs in a large pot and cover eggs with cold water. Bring the water to a boil and remove from heat. Cover pot and let sit for 17-20 minutes.

Your info is very informative. Have you tried doing the eggs in your steamer? They turn out real well and are so much easier to peel, even the very freshest of eggs.

Hi! Thanks for your tip. Unfortunately, I don’t have a steamer. My husband makes these eggs for his pickled eggs. Sometimes I can hear him cursing when he’s having a hard time peeling the eggs LOL :lol:

Hi rleapollan,
I never thought to use the steamer for hard-boiled eggs. Could you share your process with us and is your steamer electric? I usually do it the same as Aline mentioned above. But I also use the 'Egg Polk"…the little gizmo that polks a very tiny hole in the wider end of the egg. Since I started using it the shells just peel off in large pieces and do not stick at all!! :smiley:

I USE MY RICE COOKER WITH THE STEAM RACK IN IT. FOR HARD COOKED EGGS I PUT IN A THIRD TO HALF CUP OF WATER. FOR SOFT COOKED IT TAKES SOME TRIAL AND ERROR. MY 3 CUP RICE COOKER A TABLESPOON AND A TEASPOON WILL GIVE ME A SOFT COOKED(BOILED)EGG. OH YES I USE A PIN OR NEEDLE TO PUT A HOLD IN LARGE END OF THE EGG. HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE

When making deviled eggs, place carton of eggs on its side for a day. The yolk will then center itself so you have it directly in the middle of the white. No more off centered deviled eggs.

I would like to use my rice cooker steamer tray tomorrow for 1 dozen eggs. Can that be done? And how much water do I use?

Many years ago, I worked for a pancake house, and often we had orders for hard-boiled.
We would do the ‘put in cold water, bring to a boil, remove from heat, and let them sit in the water for 20 mins.’.
But then we would refridge the eggs, and when needed for an order, we would immerse them in hot water for 1 min. prior to peeling.
With the inner egg being cool, and the shell being hot, the eggs would nearly fall out of their shells.

WOW!!! This sounds like the answer to perfect looking deviled eggs. I will definitely try this one.