help for foods rich in iron

I’m having a real hard time with being anemic but I cant take iron pills, they make me sick. Could you let me know foods that are rich in iron. Thank you!!!

Hi Shelley!

I, too, am anaemic. I’ve been battling microcytic anaemia for the past 4 years, which is iron-deficiency anaemia. Some people are low in folic acid and vitamin B12…macrocytic anaemia.

I also have rheumatoid arthritis and, therefore, when I take iron pills, they cause more inflammation and more pain. So I don’t take them like I should…I try to get it from foods.

First of all, you need vitamin C to help your body absorb the iron better. Coffee, tea, and pop prevents your body from absorbing iron.

If you have a sweet tooth, like I do, I make date squares by using: fresh orange juice (not concentrate) instead of water, BLACK STRAP molasses instead of brown sugar. The dates, oatmeal, and black strap molasses all have iron. It has to be black strap molasses though. The fresh orange juice has folic acid.

Any vegetable dark in colour are good: dark green, dark red, deep orange, etc.

Asparagus is high in iron.
Fresh nuts such as walnuts and almonds.
Vitamin B12 can be found in red meats and certain veggies like broccoli.
Eggs have iron.

If you like beef liver, it’s the best! I don’t care to eat organ meats but a couple years ago, I had no choice. It was either eat it or get a blood transfusion or worry about kidney shutdown. So I ate it for breakfast, lunch and dinner for 3 days! At every bite, I would say…blood transfusion…kidney shutdown…LOL…this enabled me to it.

Welsh’s white grape juice also is good for you. It helps your body absorb the iron.

Iron Rich Foods for Iron Deficiency Anemia
Written by: Gloria Tsang, RD
last updated: November 2004

For iron deficiency anemia in women, a diet with iron rich foods along with iron supplements is often recommended. Absorption of iron from food is influenced by multiple factors. One important factor being the form of the iron. Heme Iron, found in animal sources, is highly available for absorption. Non-heme iron on the other hand, found in vegetable sources, is less available. Iron rich foods of an iron rich diet are listed below:

IRON RICH FOODS CONTAINING HEME IRON:

Excellent sources are: clams, pork liver, oysters, chicken liver, mussels, and beef liver.

Good sources are: Beef, shrimp, sardines, and turkey

IRON RICH FOODS CONTAINING NON-HEME IRON:

Excellent sources are: enriched breakfast cereals, Cooked beans and lentils, pumpkin seeds, and blackstrap molasses.

Good sources are: canned beans, baked potato with skin, enriched pasta, canned asparagu.

Warning: Pregnant women should not eat liver because of its very high Vitamin A content. Large amounts of Vitamin A can be harmful to the baby.

The absorption of Non-heme iron can be improved when a source of heme iron is consumed in the same meal. In addition, the iron absorption-enhancing foods can also increase the absorption of non-heme iron. While some food items can enhance iron absorption, some can inhibit or interfere iron absorption. Avoid eating them with the iron-rich foods to maximize iron absorption.

IRON ABSORPTION ENHANCERS

Meat/fish/poultry
Fruits: Orange, Orange Juice, cantaloupe, strawberries, grapefruit etc
Vegetables: Broccoli, brussels sprouts, tomato, tomato juice, potato, green & red peppers
White wine

IRON ABSORPTION INHIBITORS

Red Wine, Coffee & Tea
Vegetables: Spinach, chard, beet greens, rhubarb and sweet potato
Whole grains and bran
Soy products

Hope this helps. Remember you need vitamin C (orange juice) to help your body absorb the iron. Good luck!

Let me know if you need anything else.

Aline

Got this from a health article. My doctor prescribed me Ferrous Gluconate and, aside from the inflammation, I have no bad side effect. I make sure I take it with food and orange/grape juice. I also take my iron pill before bedtime. If I take it in the morning…WOW!!.. I suffer all day with inflammation and more pain. Got enough pain with the arthritis, don’t need additional. LOL I’m supposed to take 3 a day, but I take it once a day maybe 2-3 times a week…sometimes 1-2 a week. LOL

Many people may experience various gastrointestinal side effects for taking iron supplements such as nausea, vomiting, constipation, diarrhea, dark colored stools, and stomach distress. Some pharmacists suggested that Ferrous Gluconate may cause fewer symptoms and is milder on stomach. To minimize side effects, start with half the recommended dose, gradually increasing to the full dose. You may also try taking iron supplements with a full stomach instead of an empty stomach.

It is suggested to take iron supplements with Vitamin C-rich foods such as fruits or fruit juice to maximize absorption.

Re Spinach:

As a lot of people may not know, spinach is an iron absorption INHIBITOR. Most people assume that it’s high in iron, but it’s not as good a choice. Asparagus is a better choice because spinach has too much rancid acid. I’ve been advised of this by my general practitioner and my naturopathic doctor. If you are going to eat spinach, make sure you consume it with an iron absorption enhancer…examples were posted in my first reply. And if you have arthritis, don’t eat it because of the rancid acid. Nuts have to be fresh and kept in the refrigerator because, over time, they become rancid.

IRON ABSORPTION INHIBITORS

Red Wine, Coffee & Tea
Vegetables: Spinach, chard, beet greens, rhubarb and sweet potato
Whole grains and bran
Soy products