Homemade Mayonnaise

1 large egg yolk*
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
3/4 cup canola oil, divided

Combine egg yolk, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in medium bowl. Whisk until blended and bright yellow, about 30 seconds.

Using 1/4 teaspoon measure and whisking constantly, add 1/4 cup oil to yolk mixture, a few drops at a time, about 4 minutes. Gradually add remaining 1/2 cup oil in very slow thin stream, whisking constantly, until mayonnaise is thick, about 8 minutes (mayonnaise will be lighter in color). Cover and chill. do ahead Can be made up to 2 days ahead. Keep chilled.

Variation:
To make aioli, add 1 minced garlic clove to the egg mixture, and substitute extra virgin olive oil for the canola oil.

• Raw egg is not recommended for infants, the elderly, pregnant women, and people with weakened immune systems. To avoid the risk of salmonella infection, you can use pasteurized egg yolk instead.

If you use an immersion blender you can just put all the ingredients together in a jar and blend it until it is thick and creamy. I do my Hollandaise sauce this way and it is so much easier than drizzling in the butter or oil in the case of mayonnaise.

I have an immersion blender, and I love it.

I’d love to see one of the dear ladies try this recipe when shein on her “Moon”. When it is that time, there are chemical changes and the body emits different chemicals in the nateral persperation and these get into the eggs/oil mixture and prevent them from forming the Mayonaise.

To prevent any ill effects from the raw eggs, first heat heat a blender cup with boiling water. Remove water and add eggs/egg yolks, and Coddle, slightly cook them while they are spinning in cup then add the oil and lemon and the eggs will be cooked. Like when making Hallendaise Sauce on the stove top, or in a blender, you whip the eggs over boiling water so you do not have Scrambled eggs.