Make your own Beef Stock
2 T Oil,vegetable
4 Garlic,cloves, unpeeled
6 lb Bones,beef, meaty
1 bn Parsley,stems
2 md Onions,trimmed, quartered
2 c Water,plus more as needed, don’t peel
2 md Tomatoes,fresh or canned,
2 lg Carrots,peeled, trimmed, cored,coarsely chopped
1/2 t Thyme,dried, or
2 Celery,stalks, trimmed,
3 Thyme,sprigs, coarsely, Chopped
2 Bay leaf
1 Leek,trimmed, halved
– lengthwise, coarsely
3/4 t Salt, coarse chopped, (white and 8 Peppercorns green parts)
- Preheat oven to 450 F. Put the oil in a roasting pan and heat briefly in the oven.
- Add the bones to the oil in the pan, toss to coat and roast for 35 minutes.
- Add the onions, carrots, celery, leek, garlic and parsley, tossing them all to coat with fat.
- Roast 30 minutes longer.
- Remove the pan from the oven and transfer the bones and vegetables to a clean stockpot. Drain off as much of the fat as possible.
- Place the roasting pan over medium-high heat (use 2 burners if necessary), and add 2 cups of cold water and boil briefly. Scrape up all of the browned bits into the water.
- Transfer the liquid to the stock pot and add enough cold water to cover. Bring slowly to a boil, skimming off all of the froth that forms.
Lower the heat and add tomatoes, thyme, bay leaves, cloves and salt. Simmer uncovered for 6 to 8 hours adding water as necessary just to cover the ingredients.
- Skim whenever necessary.
- Add peppercorns for the last 15 minutes of the simmering.
Strain the “soup” into a large bowl through a colander lined with a double layer of dampened cheesecloth. Gently press the solids to extract all of the liquid, and discard
- Pour the stock into containers for storage and label and date them.
- The stock will “keep” for up to 3 days in a refrigerator, and up to 6 months in a freezer.