How to make Black Angus Restaurant S.O.S. "Biscuit's & Gravy"

I am looking for the recipe for S.O.S. Biscuits & Gravy made at the Black Angus Restruant located @ 449 Eglin Parkway Northeast, Fort Walton Beach, Florida.

This is a private owned restaurant not affiliated with known “Black Angus” Restaurant.

I’m tired of the country gravy that is made out here they just can’t get it right and I have always ate at this particular place and it has always had the best Biscuits & Gravy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A lot depends on the sausage you use. Use whatever one you like best. Crumble it and brown it, add some flour equal to the amount of fat in the pan, cook for a minute or so to cook out the floury taste. While whisking add milk and bring to a boil. Add as much milk as needed to get the consistency you want. The finished consistency will be when the gravy boils. Taste and season with salt and pepper. You can use seasoned salt, cayenne or even garlic powder if you like. Spoon the sausage gravy over freshly baked biscuits.

Hi, I live in Co and not sure about how to cook this. But did you tried other mixes and mix the country gravy with it and see if it is closer to what you are looking for the gravy. Also could they be using the trims left over from cooking the Black Angus steak with spices and herbs to make the gravy and use some of the things that are used to make flavores for the gravies.;);):stuck_out_tongue:

For biscuits and gravy you must use pork breakfast sausage, not steak trimmings. If you don’t eat pork you can use turkey breakfast sausage.

These are the recipes I use when I want biscuits & gravy.

Sausage Gravy and Biscuits

Sausage Gravy:

1 pound Bulk Pork Sausage (such as Jimmy Dean, sometimes maple, sometimes hot, sometimes italian spices flavor)
2 Tbsp cooking oil
1/3 cup all purpose flour
4 cups milk
2 Tbsp onion flakes
1 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp seasoning salt
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
A few dashes of Tabasco sauce to taste

Add oil to skillet and cook sausage over medium heat. Scramble meat and cook until browned and done. Try to break sausage into as small a bits as possible.

Sprinkle flour over cooked sausage, and stir and cook until meat is coated and flour is browned.
About 3 or 4 minutes.

Add milk, onion flakes, onion powder, seasoning salt, black pepper and Tabasco sauce.

Stir constantly and scrape bottom of skillet with rubber spatula. Simmer until gravy is thickened. About 5-minutes.

Serve over bread, toast, biscuits, potatoes, etc.

Makes about 6 cups of gravy.

================================================== ============

The easiest biscuit recipe I’ve found for biscuits is the one that uses cooking oil instead of solid shortening. Here’s the one I use. For a fluffier biscuit, I don’t roll them out, I just pick up the dough and form into balls about the size of a tennis ball and place them on baking sheet. I use canola oil. I wouldn’t use olive oil, it’s taste comes through in the biscuits.

Wesson Oil Stir and Roll Biscuits (1950)

Sweet Milk Biscuits

2 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup Wesson oil
1/2 cup milk

Buttermilk Biscuits

2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup Wesson oil
1/2 cup buttermilk or sour milk*

Sift dry ingredients together into a bowl. Pour oil and milk into a measuring cup, but don’t stir together.

Pour all at once into the flour.

Stir with a fork until mixture cleans sides of bowl and rounds up into a ball.

For drop biscuits; drop dough onto ungreased cookie sheet.

For rolled or patted biscuits; smooth up dough by kneading about 10 times without additional flour. With dough on waxed paper, press out 1/4-inch thick with hands, or roll out between waxed papers. For a thicker biscuit, roll dough 1/2-inch thick. Cut with unfloured biscuit cutter.

Bake 10 to 12 minutes on ungreased cookie sheet in very hot oven (475-degrees F).

Makes 20 medium biscuits.

NOTE: If you are doubling or tripling the recipe, measure oil and milk into a bowl; then pour all at once into the flour.

Source: Wesson Oil ad; Charleston, SC - News and Courier, December 1, 1950

*To make sour milk, place 1 1/2 teaspoons of vinegar or lemon juice in measuring cup and add enough milk to epual 1/2 cup. Stir and let stand 5 minutes to thicken. You could also use plain yogurt thinned with a little milk.