I have to lose weight!!!

I have injured my back and the doctor has told me that I need to lose some weight. At the moment exercise is not an option, I have been told that I am to stay in bed or on the couch for the next two weeks. I am the only one in the house that cooks, but at the moment I can’t pick up anything heaver than a large cup of coffee! Does anyone have any suggestions?? I am having a financial dilemma and unable to buy any ebooks at this time to help me along. I NEED HELP!!!

paramedicmel -

I know EXACTLY what you are going through.

Yes - even losing as much as 10 pounds will relieve pain in your back. It’s hard being laid up because you don’t want your metabolism to go either.

Even the lifting part - I know it well. And not being able to stand for long periods of time - even to cut celery or onions or peppers (when you have a back injury every second on your feet feels like hours and the pain in excruciating!)

And you want to eat healthy during this time not to gain any weight.

Some days I didn’t even feel like eating - but you still get hungry. Thank heaven for the crockpot (although cleaning it wasn’t that easy - took longer than normal). Do you have a crockpot? Using the oven was impossible; standing at the stove was horrid! Dishes took longer to do - I had to keep stopping.

I know that cooking rice was easier than boiling any pasta - I could not lift the pan of water. I had to invent the easiest recipes, cooked without me standing there for a length of time, with easy clean up, etc. Make-aheads helped - the freezer came in handy.

Is there anyone to help? What have you got in the house? What do you like to eat? Tell us more - I am willing to help.

I do have my husband, that doesn’t cook at all, and two teenage step-sons that do the house work. We are very low on income right now but I do have serveral crockpots and a roaster oven. So if you have any quick, easy meals that men who only want meat and potatos would be a big help!!! I have found that I can sit at the dinning room table and chop stuff for salads. I just can’t stand up and do it.

I am glad that you do have “help” although you must have spoiled them so much that they will always depend on you. My dad was so spoiled he couldn’t butter his own bread! I’m surprised he knew where to find a glass for his “two-o’clock feeding” (milk) every night!

Have you take a look at our crockpot forum and looked at those recipes?

Everything can do into a crockpot; place in the ingredients, season and wait.

And with a roaster oven you can do so much as well.

What do they like to eat and what’s in the house for starters? Also - will they eat leftovers? For instance if you can make a large roast and then slice some and put it with gravy in the freezer for another meal - that would help. Also you could warm it up in one crackpot and put veggies in another - if you didn’t want to use the oven.

KW

I am glad that you do have “help” although you must have spoiled them so much that they will always depend on you. My dad was so spoiled he couldn’t butter his own bread! I’m surprised he knew where to find a glass for his “two-o’clock feeding” (milk) every night!

Have you take a look at our crockpot forum and looked at those recipes?

Everything can do into a crockpot; place in the ingredients, season and wait.

And with a roaster oven you can do so much as well.

What do they like to eat and what’s in the house for starters? Also - will they eat leftovers? For instance if you can make a large roast and then slice some and put it with gravy in the freezer for another meal - that would help. Also you could warm it up in one crockpot and put veggies in another - if you didn’t want to use the oven.

KW

The men in my family eat typical “man food”. Meat and potatos!! I don’t have much on hand right now. I have some gound meat that I have cooked and I have celery, califlower, and broc. I have no kind of sauce mixes right now. We need a trip to the store BAD! hahahahaha I have not looked at the crockpot recipes but will take a look at them. I don’t care for the ones that you have to brown your meat first, its hard for me to stand at the stove right now.

and I forgot this…they do eat leftovers, but when I cook a lot of food they ususally eat it all!!! I cooked 5.5lbs of chili the other day and it was gone in two days!! I do love to cook veggies with a roast but I always have to cook so much meat that there isn’t enough room for the veggies. Could I season them just like the meat? I love the way they taste when I cook the roast and veggies together!!

You don’t have to brown your meat first - you can place frozen meat in the crockpot and it will cook just fine!

Take a look and let me know.

KW