Introduction & Recipe

Hello Everyone! This is my first posting & with the holidays coming up I thought I might share my kids favorite holiday recipe. I have been making this for over 35 years and it has become a Christmas dinner tradition & my “adult” kids fight over who gets to take home the leftovers. LOL Enjoy!

ALL THE INGREDIENTS ARE IN THE STANDARD SIZED BOXES OR CANS.
SHEET CAKE PAN IS 10 x 13

Ingredients:

1 Angel Food cake baked as directed on box EXCEPT make it as a sheet cake instead of a bundt cake.

2 packages of Instant Vanilla Pudding (mix as directed on package & let chill.)

2 cans Cherry Pie Filling

1 tub Whipped Cream

1 cup Chopped Walnuts (or to taste)

Directions:

Bake the angel food cake as a sheet cake & let cool upside down so it won’t cave in in the middle. (I put wax paper over it & then turn it upside down.) After it has cooled completely take the cake out of the dish and cut it in half length wise (long). A serrated knife is best to use for this. Place the bottom 1/2 of the cake back into the dish.

Mix the Vanilla Pudding as directed and let it get firm. Once firm, spoon 1/2 of the pudding onto the top of the angel food cake. Smooth it as if you were frosting the cake.

On top of the pudding place 1 can of cherry pie filling. Spoon on to the pudding in dollops so each spoonful will cover one slice of the cake.

Next spoon a layer of whipped cream on top of everything. Smooth to the edges of the dish. Again as if you are frosting the cake.

Sprinkle with a light layer of nuts.

Place the set aside top layer of the angel food cake on top of everything & make a second layer with pudding, pie filling, whipped cream & nuts.

Refrigerate until ready to eat.

We have made variations of this as some people like chocolate pudding with raspberry pie filling. My husband likes to use banana cream pudding with sliced bananas instead of pie filling. You can tweak it to fit your families taste.

The angel food cake does not get soggy while a regular yellow, white, or chocolate cake will & thus make a mushy-cake. I have tried the regular cake (and the kids did eat it LOL) but the angel food is best.

Hope you enjoy our holiday tradition. Happy Holidays

Gramma Jean

Hi everyone, this is my first post, and first time on this website. I like cooking and eating great food! The angel food cake recipe sounds great!

Grandmom Sally’s Chocolate Pies
3/4 C self rising flour
3 C sugar
8 Tbls. Cocoa
pinch of salt
4 C milk, or 3 C evaporated milk, or 1 can cream and rest milk
4 eggs, separated
2 Tbls. butter
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 pre-baked pie crusts
Sift dry ingredients together in top of double boiler, then add milk, beaten egg yolks, and butter. Cook in double boiler until thickened, stir frequently to prevent sticking. Take off burner, then add vanilla, stir, and let cool slightly. Pour into baked pie crusts. Make a meringue with the egg whites, 1/4 C sugar, 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar, beat in mixer until stiff. Spoon gently over pies. Brown lightly in oven, taking care to watch it.