ISO: Deer Steak Recipe

One of my dad’s old friends gave him a deer steak, which he passed on to my husband because my dad doesn’t like it.

I’ve heard that deer steak has to be eaten HOT. Does anyone have a good deer steak recipe that they’ve tried and liked?

Much appreciated!

Aline :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks KW! They actually sound pretty good.

Here’s a story that you might get a kick out of. When I was about 20, I was babysitting for my brother and had to make supper. They had a package of “ground beef” in the refrigerator. So I fried it up, made a mixture of “gravy pellets” and water that I added to the meat, then added soy sauce, and whatever I could think of. I wasn’t much of a cook back then so I just kept tasting and adding stuff. I really liked it and kept eating it, telling myself to leave some for them LOL.

The next day, I asked my sister-in-law what she thought of the dish. She said, “It was so awful. I had to throw it out!”. I was sort of hurt by her comment until she said, “I don’t like deer meat!”. LOL I couldn’t believe it was deer and not beef! :shock: I was also shocked to know that I liked it. That was the first and last time that I ever ate deer, over 20 years ago! :stuck_out_tongue:

I might get brave and taste this steak! :wink: :lol:

Venison is best eaten hot or warm otherwise it gets tallowy!
Here is one of many I have… this one is very good!

Recipe Name: VENISON CHOPS WITH MARCHAND DE MUSCADINE
Category: MAIN DISH
Serves: 4

SOURCE	THE TABASCO COOKBOOK                                  

8 4 oz venison chops, 1/2 in thick
1 Tsp. Tabasco Sauce
Salt, to taste
8 Tblsp Butter, softened, divided
1 Tblsp Oil
1/2 Each Green onion, sliced
1 Cup Red Wine, dry
1/2 Cup muscadine or grape jelly
1/4 Tsp. Tabasco Sauce
1/4 Tsp. Salt

Season chops with 1 teaspoon ( per 8 chops) Tabasco sauce; sprinkle with salt.

In a large skillet, over medium high heat, melt 1 tbls butter; add oil. Place chops in pan 4 at a time; cook 5 minutes turning once. Remove to serving platter; keep warm.

In same skillet, melt 1/4 of the butter. Add green onions.
Stirring frequently, cook 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in wine. Bring to boil rapidly until reduced to 1/2.

Stir in jelly until melted. Add remaining Tabasco sauce and salt. Remove from heat.

Stir in one-at-a-time remaining tbls butter until sauce is slightly thickened. Serve over chops.

Here is another very good one that comes from “Historical Scottish Recipes”:

Venison Collops

Venison, the meat of the Red Deer, is a traditional Scottish dish, but it must be well hung to bring out its full flavour and make it tender. Prince Charles Edward ate many a similar dish during his time in the Highlands.

Ingredients:
Pinch of ground mace
2 lb fillet of venison
1/2 pint brown gravy or rich beef stock
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 pint water
Salt and black pepper
1 teaspoon red currant jelly

Method:
Cut venison into thin slices and fry in hot butter until a rich brown on both sides. Remove meat and stir flour into butter. Add stock and water. Season with salt, pepper and mace. Put venison back into pan, cover and simmer very gently until tender. Skim the sauce. Add teaspoon
of red currant jelly and pour over collops.

We like to cook venison very simply in our houshold.
Our favorite way is to pound the venison steaks very thin then dredge in a little flour that is seasoned with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. The key is to pan fry these in butter for the best taste. Serve with smashed potatoes and milk gravy that you make using the extra flour from dredging and the pan scrapings.