Key Lime Pie

Description
I have a friend who is a Key lime pie snob. On several occasions I’ve seen her turn down a slice for the slightest infraction.Well, I’ve found this recipe for fresh Key lime pie that I am sure will satisfy even her high standards. Although you may not be as strict about this pie as my friend is, I think you will find it to be an easy to make and refreshing.
Ingredients
Filling Ingredients:
3/4 cup fresh squeezed Key lime juice (about 25 limes). This may be a little tart for some people’s tastes. Use 1/2 Cup if you prefer a pie that is less tangy.
4 jumbo egg yolks
2 1/2 teaspoons Key lime zest
1 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
Crust Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
3 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup unsalted butter
Meringue Ingredients:
2 egg whites
4 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
Instructions
Mix graham cracker crumbs, butter and three tablespoons of the sugar together in a bowl. Press the mixture into a 9 inch pie plate and bake at 350 dgrees F for about 10 minutes. Take the pie crust out of the oven and let cool. Zest and juice the limes and put together in a bowl. In a separate large mixing bowl, beat the four egg yolks until light yellow and thick (about a minute).

Pour in the condensed milk and half of the lime juice with the zest. Mix on low and then add the other half of the lime juice and zest. Pour mixture into the pie shell. In another bowl, add egg whites and cream of tartar. Beat until all the egg white turns into foam. Add the four tablespoons of sugar and beat until stiff. Pour on top of pie filling and bake in a preheated oven at 325 dgrees F for 15 minutes.

After removing pie from oven, refrigerate until filling sets. This usually takes a little over an hour.
Recipe compliments of P Allen Smith