Kitchen gadgets

It has been years since I have had a “pizza cutter” in my kitchen. That gadget has been renamed to the universal cutter! I cut up kid’s spaghetti, pancakes, & French toast. I also use it to cut up leftover chicken for chicken salad. I also use it to trim pastry from the edge on a pie crust. And that is why we call it the universal cutter.

[b]I’d never even thought of using a pizza cutter for anything but cutting pizza! Thanks for those tips, wildbill.

I got tired of using a puny cutter (with a wobbly wheel) and invested in one of those larger Kitchenaid pizza cutters with the 4" wheel. That thing’s sturdy enough to cut floor tiles!

KW, my old Kenmore gas stove (circa 1964) has one of those grills in the middle of the stove top. When my kids were still small, I used to make pancakes in the shape of their initials. Now I just use it to grill sandwiches.[/b]

[b]I don’t know if you watch any shows on the Food Network but on Rachael Ray’s show (30-Minute Meals) she has a vintage yellow stove and refrigerator. I also remember seeing information on that network for a place that refurbishes vintage appliances and makes them like new. They also come in bright colors, too. But they sure don’t come cheap.

I’ve been looking at the Wolf and Viking brands myself since my Kenmore fridge was bought in 1965 and I desperately need an update on both. If I could, I’d love knock out the back wall of the kitchen and build onto it.[/b]

[b]Yes, I think I saw that style and color on that special they had. You’re talking “thousands” of dollars!

I was originally looking at the industrial-sized stoves but you have to have your house rewired for it and be up to code and I’m not sure how much that’d set me back. Even so, they have some mighty nice stoves out there.[/b]

Would you believe that my uncle, who bought his parents house a long long time ago (my grandparents are deceased), still has the same cooking stove that they had when my uncle, my mom, and their other 9 brothers and sisters were little. I remember going there on New Year’s Day when they would have a huge family dinner. The meat pies would keep warm on that top shelf of the stove. I brought my daughter there last year to show her that stove.

AND, a friend of ours found one in an old farm house. The owner of the house sold it to him for $100. Our friend shipped the stove down south (Southern Ontario) where they refurbished it. It cost him $1,500 and was well worth the cost. Our friend and his wife built their own log home; they even cut their own trees! So that stove fits right in with that house. Heck, he even managed to get old red bricks from another old farm house. Cleaned them all up and made kind of like a foyer for that old stove. Looks so great!