Large Batch Deviled Eggs

I’m not sure what it is about deviled eggs, but bringing them to a potluck always seems to be a successful dish. However, it seems like there’s a lot of work involved that might be made considerably easier. Also, and this may be due to technique, I find that sometimes the end product doesn’t look as presentable as it should.

A question for those adventuresome cooks, if I were to separate the egg yolks from their whites, do you believe it possible to cook the whites in a prepared muffin tin (the tins that make those really tiny muffins) and add the cooked and flavored yolks afterwards?

It seems by doing so, you could have more control over what the end product looked like, alleviating distortions made by the yolk resting too close to the edge of the white (creating a thinner barrier); flat spots where the air sack rested (and I’ve tried the pricking of a hole on both ends of the egg but still find the issue); and the infamous “ditches” that are made from the unsuccessful removal the shell from a hard-boiled egg (very unsightly). Ultimately, you would possibly have a more uniformed product.

Any ideas or suggestions? I’ve been known to bring about 48 eggs (96 halves) to some events and would like to find an easier method. Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Are you planning on coddling your egg whites by using the muffin tin? The whites would only flop when you remove them, and there is no cavity to fill.

This has been taken from my group ?Kitchen Staples Plus? at FoodPals. Just click on the link at the bottom for complete info on eggs in that group. Some of this may be useless - I just did a quick copy.

The following steps can be used for cooking eggs in the shell:
Pierce the large end of the eggs with a pin or needle. This pierces the air cell, allowing the air to escape, preventing a flat spot from being formed on the large end of the egg during the cooking process. It also helps in making the eggs easier to peel after cooking.

Pour cold water into a saucepan and add 1½ teaspoons of salt per quart of water. (The salt may help make the peeling process easier). Make sure there is enough water in the pan so that the eggs will be completely covered. Bring the water to a boil and with a large spoon, place the eggs in a single layer on the bottom of the pan.

When the water returns to a boil, turn down the heat so that the water is at a low simmer and then begin timing the eggs for the desired doneness. Do not cover the pan.

Use the following cooking times as a guide for the desired
firmness for the yolk of each egg size (the whites will be firm).
Size Degree of Doneness Time Required
Medium Soft-cooked yolk 4 minutes
Medium-cooked yolk 6 minutes
Hard-cooked yolk 11 minutes
Large Soft-cooked yolk 5 minutes
Medium-cooked yolk 7 minutes
Hard-cooked yolk 12 minutes
Extra Large Soft-cooked yolk 6 minutes
Medium-cooked yolk 8 minutes
Hard-cooked yolk 13 minutes

Eggs should be stored with the rounded end pointed up in order to keep the air cell on top and to help keep the yolk centered in the egg. Never store eggs next to strong smelling foods because eggshells are porous and will allow strong odors to be absorbed into the egg over time. This is another reason why it is a good idea to store eggs in the original protective carton.

Air Cell

After the egg is laid and then cools, the contents contract allowing air to be trapped between the two membranes beneath the shell. The trapped air produces an"air cell" which forms at the large, rounded end of the egg. The size of the air cell is one of the criteria used when grading eggs. The air cell is visible as the egg passes in front of a bright light (candling).The smaller the air cell, the higher the grade of the egg. The size of the air cell increases as the egg ages. An egg may actually float in water if it is very old, indicating that the contents has lost moisture and the air cell is very large.

Grade AA This is the highest quality possible.

And here is a tip from my notes:

When making deviled eggs, place carton of eggs on its side for a day. The yolk will then center itself so you have it directly in the middle of the white. No more off centered deviled eggs.

Eggs can be tricky. Even though you purchase a carton or flat of eggs and they look like the pointed ends are up - you don’t know if they were taken from other cartons and were stored upside down in the store.

There is a “contraption” that can be found in some higher-end stores that will make “square” hard boiled eggs. But that would be a lot of work for you. You would have to act very fast at peeling the eggs and then placing in the gizmo in the square egg maker while still very hot so that it forms into a square egg. It does make for a nice presentation and conversation piece.

When I am making large-batch eggs for an event I always make extra eggs because if there is an egg with a thin side I won’t serve it. Because of the way I store eggs I havent’ had very many with thin sides.

Piping the yolk filling also makes a nice presentation. If you are worried about any foil cover touching the egg filling, you can always insert an olive topped toothpick in some of them so that the foil doesn’t touch the filling.

KW