Lemon Mousse

I am sure some of you will remember the lemon mousse that was served in almost all elementary schools in the 50s and 60s. (at least in the South). I remember it being one of my favorite deserts when I was a youngster. Does anyone have a recipe for it?

Is this it?

School Cafeteria Lemon Sauce

50 Servings

2 1/2 lb. sugar
3/4 c. cornstarch
1 t. salt
2 qt. boiling water
1 c. butter
1 c. lemon juice
3T. lemon rind

Mix sugar,cornstarch and salt. Add to boiling water, stirring constantly.
Cook in double boiler until cornstarch is clear (approximately twenty minutes).
Remove from fire. Add butter, lemon juice and rind. Cool and serve.
Don’t not let sauce remain in a hot place as it will become very thin.

Source: The School Lunch - 1962

I use to take only by adding a 3/4 spoon of sugar,a pinch of salt according to our taste to one lemon taking juice from it and add cold water.

No that is not the recipe. The one I am after is a lemon pudding like a pie filling with graham cracker crumbs on top.

No not it but thanks

…CRUST:
. 1 cup crushed graham crackers, (reserve 3 T for garnish)
. 3 T unsalted butter, melted
. 3 T sugar (agave nectar, maple syrup or honey can also be used)
. 1 t pure Vanilla extract
…FILLING: Lemon mousse
. 1 cup whipping cream 35%
. 3 large eggs, separated
. 1/2 cup sugar (or 1/3 cup agave nectar can also be used)
. 1/4 cup lemon juice (1 medium lemon)

…Making the crust:
. In a food processor or blender…crush the cookies (or flake cereal) to yield 1 cup/ 90g. Add the melted butter, vanilla and the sugar. Pulsate a few times and then whirl until some type of loose paste forms.
. Place the cookie mix onto the pie plate. Press the crust down with the bottom of a small measuring cup or the backside of a spoon. Set aside.

… Making the Lemon Mousse Filling:
. In a chilled, medium sized stainless steel bowl, whip the cream with an electric mixer. When a ribbon trail starts showing, it’s almost ready. Careful not to over beat. Set this whipped cream temporarily aside in the refrigerator.
. Clean the whisks and dry carefully.
. Meanwhile, separate the eggs and set aside the yolks in a tiny bowl.
. In another medium size bowl, whip the egg whites until frothy. Gradually add the sugar and beat until soft peaks have formed. Afterwards, the egg yolks can be added one at the time. Beat well between each yolk.

. Take out the chilled whipped cream and with a spatula fold it into the yellow sweet mix until there are minimal streaks showing. Now, add the lemon juice and blend well.
. Pour the combined mix into the prepared crust.
. Garnish the perimeter of the pie’s surface with the reserved crushed cookie.

. It is best to cover and freeze the pie for a minimum 3 hour period.
Remember to take the pie out and transfer it to the refrigerator
for about 20 minutes before cutting your serving pieces.

tasty…

I have made this and it is real close based on what I remember. The consistency was not right because I think I did not whip the cream enough, because I was afraid I would whip it too much. Oh well there is always next time.