Lemon Pie

This came from a Key Lime Pie recipe i have. I thought it would be good made with lemons instead of limes. I was right.

Randy’s Lemon Pie With Meringue or Cream Topping
This rich lemon pie is baked, then an optional meringue topping is added, or top with a dollop of whipped cream and lemon zest.
INGREDIENTS:
• 1/2 cup lemon juice, fresh if possible (pompey lemon juice)
• 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
• 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
• 1 to 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest, divided
• 5 egg yolks
• whipped cream or whipped topping, optional
• 1 graham cracker pie shell
• Meringue (optional)
• 3 to 4 egg whites
• 6 tablespoons sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
• dash salt
PREPARATION:
Whisk sweetened condensed milk with the egg yolks. Stir in whipping cream and lemon juice. Stir in 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest. Pour into a prepared graham cracker crust and bake at 325° for 15 to 20 minutes.

Remove from oven and increase temperature to 350° if meringue is used. If you aren’t making the meringue, cool the pie and top with whipped cream and a little lemon zest just before serving.
Meanwhile, make meringue, if using. In a glass or stainless steel bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt; gradually beat into the egg whites. Continue beating until egg whites no longer feel gritty (with sugar)when a little is smeared between two fingers. Spoon onto the hot pie filling, spreading to cover completely to the crust. Put back in the oven and bake at 350° until meringue is browned, about 12 to 15 minutes.