Lil Smokie sausages BBQed

[b]I am looking for a recipe to BBQ the Lil Smokie sausages you can buy at a grocery store. Due to allergies, the recipe needs:
1> NOT to have cheese,
2> NOT to have mushrooms,
3> Some spicyness is all right, but that super-hot burn stomach lining is out. Too many people with stomach problems.
4> Acceptable to most kids in general.
5> Some sweetness is all right.
6> Not a requirement, but it would help ME if the recipe was easily adaptable between ten people and 150 people.

Thank you.[/b]

Robert

Hi Robert! I’d print & forward but would simply be easier if you just went to this site… “Joy Of Cooking recipe for home made barbeque sauce”. There is one there I use often, I do have to eliminate the chili powder and even the garlic at times. It’s very basic & you prob’ly have most of the ingredients in your pantry. My suggestion is, prepare it ahead of time & chill it, even freeze it way ahead. Then, add the lil smokies, cold, to the cold BBQ sauce. It’s hard to infuse flavor if one item starts hot & the other cold, both should start to simmer & heat at the same cool temp. The bit of brown sugar adds a sweetness but isn’t overpowering. I simmer it somewhat longer than called for.
Hope this works for you, please let us know, thanks!

Me again, forgot to mention, the recipe I use is titled Southern Barbeque Sauce…and…we prefer using the red wine vinegar over the cider vinegar (if you check the recipe, you’ll see you have an option).

Good Luck!..It also freezes well, but if freezing, I’d suggest using glass containers OR using a cooking spray on the inside of any plastic containers for easy clean up.

Take a 40oz bottle of Sweet Baby Rays Original or Hickory and Brown Sugar BBQ sauce(both are mild) and a medium sized jar of grape jelly and combine in a crockpot. Add the Li’l Smokies until they are just covered by the sauce and jelly and cook until they are heated through. You can adjust the amounts based on the size of the crockpot. You can also do this with kielbasa or meatballs.

one pack Lil’ Smokies
one can cola
one cup brown sugar
spiced rum
one pack of bacon
Toothpicks

1. Cut bacon into 2-1/2 to 3 inch strips.

2. Wrap Lil smokies in bacon; Place toothpick through center.

3. Place cup of brown sugar, Cola and rum in a saucepan over medium-low heat (until sugar has dissolved) reduce to low heat.

4. Preheat oven to 400°F.

5. Place Lil’ Smokies on a baking sheet, brush with Sugar-Cola mixture and bake in oven until bacon is crisp.

6. Remove from oven and dip in Sugar-Cola sauce. Place in slow cooker to keep warm. ENJOY.