Recipe Name: Linguine with Pesto
1 Pound linguine
2 Cup loosely packed basil leaves
2 Tblsp Pine nuts
1 walnut, chopped
1/3 Cup cup extra virgin olive oil
2 Medium garlic cloves
1/4 Cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
pinch of salt
- Blend garlic in a food processor then add the pine nuts and walnuts and blend some more.
- Add the basil and a pinch of salt then blend a bit at a time turning the food processor on and off rather than letting it run continuously so you don’t “cook” the basil.
- Add the oil blend again (not too much).
- When the pesto is smooth put in a bowl and add the cheese, mix in by hand.
- Just before the pasta is finished cooking add a few spoons of foam from the pasta water (or a few spoons of hot milk) and mix it. Add just enough water, or milk, to make it creamy. Don’t add so much that the pesto gets watery.
- Add the cooked pasta to the pesto, mix well and serve immediately.
Using a walnut is fairly uncommon when making Pesto.
If you like pecorino cheese try using half and half parmesan and pecorino In this case don’t add salt since pecorino is really salty.