Looking for a Sweet Potato Soup recipe.

Hi, I am new to this site. The soup I am looking for is very thick,also had maybe smoked ham, onion, not sure what else, but was so good. Hope someone out there can help with this.

Hi Earthmom…welcome to RecipeSecrets! The original recipe did not call for ham…and so this is modified to reflect your original post description. The amount of cubed ham is a personal choice and you will have to use your own judgement as to quantity. Hope you enjoy it, and let us know what you think.

Ginger & Sweet Potato Soup with Cilantro

Yield: 8 servings
Prep time: 15 minutes
Start to finish: 50 minutes

Ingredients:
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 medium leek, white part only, cut in half lengthwise, rinsed well between layers, and thinly sliced
1 medium carrot, chopped
2 pounds sweet potatoes or yams, peeled and cubed
1 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped, plus 1 teaspoon grated
4 cups chicken broth (homemade or reduced-sodium canned), or vegetable stock
3/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
2 tablespoons 1 percent milk
Fresh cilantro leaves for garnish
Lime wedges
cubed ham - quantity is your call. (optional ingredient)

1. Heat oil in a 4- to 6-quart Dutch oven or soup pot over medium-high heat. Add leek and carrot. Cook, stirring often, until they begin to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in sweet potatoes (or yams) and chopped ginger. Add broth and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until sweet potatoes are soft, about 30 minutes.

2. In batches, if necessary, transfer the soup to a blender or food processor and process until smooth. Return the soup to the pot, season with salt, and reheat. Add cubed ham. Just before serving, stir in grated ginger. Whisk yogurt and milk in a small bowl until smooth. Ladle soup into bowls, and drop a large dollop (or several small dollops) of thinned yogurt onto each one. Draw the tip of a knife or a toothpick through the yogurt to make decorative swirls. Garnish with cilantro and serve with lime wedges for squeezing into the soup.

-----> I should probably have posted this in the recipe exchange, but for the sake of one recipe, I’ve posted here.

B-man :smiley:

Thanks b-man for the Sweet Potato Soup recipe. It really sounds great, and I will try it as soon as it is below 90 here. To hot for soup right now.