Looking for Mexican Cheese Dip

We go to a mexican restuarant and always get a white cheese dip instead of salso. I would love a recipe for this…

I’ve never made this but it looks pretty good…
Got it off a website earlier this week, actually!

QUESO BLANCO [White Cheese!]

Makes: 1 1/4 cups

1 cup Asadero cheese, shredded
4 ounces Jalapenos, chopped and drained
OR
4 ounces Poblanos, deveined and julienned
1/4 cup half and half
2 tablespoons onion, finely chopped
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoons salt

Heat all ingredients over low heat, stirring constantly, until the cheese is melted. Serve warm with tostaditas.

(If this is made with julienned poblanos, it’s called “queso con rajas de chile”).

A variation of this [from the same site]:
Poor Man’s Cheese Dip (for the mild of taste)
Can’t handle jalapenos or chilis? Don’t have any jalapenos or chilis? That’s okay. Just grab a little Mrs. Dash, or any similar mixture of tasty spices. Many people enjoy the dip itself without adding peppers at all, but for those of us who need a little excitement, flavoring can come in many different forms.

Can substitute Monterey Jack or anyother similiar cheese for a bit different taste! Also good with a bit of cilantro added [1 tablespoon finely chopped].

Enjoy! I’m going to try it too - it looks yummy! If you make it, let us know!!

Where do you buy the asdero cheese? Never heard of it.

Description

Oaxaca is the Mexican name for this white cow’s-milk, semi-soft cheese. Its name comes from the state in which it originates.
It has good melting properties and becomes softly stringy when heated. It was developed in Mexico especially for cooking. “Asadero” is Spanish for “baking.”

It is a stretched curd cheese, kneaded then formed into a ball-shape which is plunged in brine for several minutes. It is produced in different shapes and weights, available in braids, balls or rounds.

Serving Suggestions:

Chili con queso - Mexico

Use Asadero on tostadas or nachos for flavour and texture; add diced onion, chili peppers, olives and tomatoes.

Shred for quesadillas or add cubed Asadero to tortilla soup.

Make a Mexican white pizza with fresh tomato slices, shredded Asadero, sliced onion, cilantro, diced roasted chilies and grilled chicken slices.

They sell it at a nearby supermarket in the specialty cheese section. They don’t always have it but sometimes!

Thanks so much! Love the white cheese and the closest I can come is melting Kroger brand Hot Pepper cheese with a lil milk. Will look at Sam’t next time I go. Only have 2 small Ma & Pa groceries here!

Glad I could help! If you can’t find it at a nearby store, there are some good sites online that you can purchase it…

http://www.specialcheese.com/orders.htm

Happy eating! =)

OOOH! OHH! TY! I order lots of food online with the price of gas today! Thanks! That is so helpful! Seems everyone here is so nice from the old posts I been checking out!

Thanks again!

I am addicted to this site! Been here four hours this a.m.!

Me again! Still here! My cheese is on the way! Thanks sooooooooo much! And I call myself a caterer. My sales reps had no idea where to get this cheese! LOL!

Thanks again!

White Cheese Dip

5Lbs.White American Cheese
1Qt. of 1/2 & 1/2
Pint of heavy Whipping Cream
1Cup of Chopped Hot peppers
1Cup chopped Frozen Spinach (dry)

Melt in Double Boiler or Crock Pot.While melting add the 1/2 and 1/2 , Whipping Cream, peppers and spinach.

When making this I cut this recipe in half. this makes alot. great served with homemade salsa and Chips.