Madeira Pork Roast

6 to 8 pounds boneless pork top loin roast (2 4-pound loins that can be separate or tied)
2 cups sweet Madeira
7 medium yellow onions, sliced
8 garlic cloves, chopped
1 bay leaf
1 sprig fresh thyme
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 cups red burgundy wine
7 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms (about 1 1/2 pounds)
2 cups prepared demi-glace
1 cup whipping cream
Green onions (green part only), chopped, for garnish

Place roast in a large casserole dish. Add Madeira, onions, garlic, bay leaf and thyme. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in refrigerator, turning roast occasionally, at least 4 hours or overnight.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Remove roast from marinade and place in a large baking dish. Reserve marinade. Spread mustard on roast and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake about 2 hours, until a meat thermometer inserted in the pork registers 155 degrees.

Pour reserved marinade into a small saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Cook 10 minutes, until reduced to about 1/4 cup. Remove and discard bay leaf. Remove from heat and reserve. Transfer roast to a platter, cover with foil and let stand 15 minutes before carving (the meat’s temperature will rise 5 degrees while standing). Discard any excess fat in pan.

Add burgundy to deglaze pan, loosening any browned bits on the bottom with a wooden spoon. Add reduced marinade and cook about 10 minutes, until liquid is further reduced by half. Add mushrooms, demi-glace and cream. Reduce heat and simmer about 5 minutes, until mushrooms are soft. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

To serve, remove string and slice roast. Serve sauce with meat and garnish with green onions. Makes 8 to 10 servings.

This sounds fantastic! Have you made the recipe?

I have not made this yet - I just came across it today and thought it sounded wonderful…so now it is on my list of things to make.