Lemon Cream Cheese Pie
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
Cream Cheese Filling
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup water
2 egg yolks
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare the crust by combining the graham cracker crumbs with melted butter and sugar in a small bowl. Press the crust mixture into an 8-inch pie pan.
- Prepare the cream cheese filling by mixing cream cheese with 1/4 cup sugar, vanilla and an egg in a bowl, using an electric mixer. Mix well until smooth. Pour cream cheese filling into graham cracker crust and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until center is cooked. A knife stuck in the middle of the filling should come out mostly clean.
- As the pie cools, make the lemon filling by combining 1/2 cup sugar with cornstarch, salt and water in a small saucepan. Set mixture over low heat and bring to a simmer, stirring often.
- Whisk in egg yolks, then add lemon juice and butter. When mixture simmers again remove it immediately from the heat.
- Pour the lemon filling over the cream cheese filling, and let the pie cool. When cool, chill pie in the refrigerator for a few hours before serving. Slice into 6 pieces to serve restaurant-size portions
MAKES 6 SERVINGS