Making coffee ? ? ?

Last week, my electric was off for a day and a half coz of a storm.
My stove is electric, as well as everything else in the kitchen.
But I do have a propane cooking burner, and I wanted coffee.
I put a potful (12cups) of cold water into a pot, then added my usual 3/4cup coffee grounds, once it boiled for about 5 minutes, I strained it thru a coffee filter and enjoyed. Except, it was too strong. Perhaps not quite twice as strong, but atleast by 50%. Seems I could of used only a 1/2 cup for the normal strenght my coffee maker makes with 3/4 cup.
With the price of coffeee having skyrocketed lately, I’m wondering if there’s a better way than using what seems to be a wasteful coffee maker ?
I remember when most used perkulator pots to make coffee, but I never did.
Did those make coffee stronger when perking longer. Or is there a method I don’t know of ?
Sure could use to save a few bucks on all the coffee I drink.

I guess the truth is, I’m wondering what the coffee recipe was prior to perkulators. I mean, there had to be a time when people just boiled water and grounds together. Was there a process to follow. Like boiling time ? Did they use less grounds ? Does boiling longer make it stronger, or does it get too bitter in time ?
So anyone got a recipe I should follow if I take to putting water in a small stock pot with grounds to boil, then strain thru a filter. Seems just about as quick as the coffee maker, and I sure wouldn’t mind having the space back from getting rid of the coffee maker (small apt. kitchen).

When camping years ago in the Rockies above Denver our site was beside a mountain stream. We boiled coffee grounds in water and then cracked an egg in it. As I remember the egg sort of held the grounds. It was the best coffee I have ever had anywhere. Maybe it was the water, the egg or the method or a combination.

I buy whole beans and store them in the freezer. I grind them as I need them. It’s the freshest I can do.

THANKS GUYS !
This sure is being a learning experience. Funny how I never realized that coffee makers are wasting coffee.
Seems the ‘Cowboy Method’ is gonna be the one for me. I guess its gonna take some trial & effort to perfect the temp. and timing.
But this has been a ton of information.
I can also see where its gonna take finding the right coffee for this style of brewing, since nowadays, most coffees are ground for coffee makers.

One of the reasons I don’t buy whole beans to grind is coz growing up, my family always bought 8o’Clock coffee brand, which ya’ grind fresh right at the store, but then its recommended to use twice as much (2tbls per cup), so I’ve always assumed that fresh ground beans weren’t as strong ? ?
Seems there’s a lot of science to coffee. I remember years ago, most coffee brands recommended refridgeration after opening, but now they say NOT to refridgerate coz it causes the coffee to age too quickly. Never heard of freezing it. And I’ve never seen a brand or a store that keeps coffee in the freezer or refridgerator.
Thanks again…

Refrigerators will dry things out, whereas freezers won’t. I have been doing this for years with no problems. The amount of beans you use depends on what beans you buy, not on the fact that they are beans.

Well, here’s how its going, and its pretty good.
I use a 4 1/2qt. stock pot, with a glass lid.
I measure in 12 cups (1 coffee pot full, 6oz. each cup) of water.
I start with cold water. I then add 1/2cup grounds (instead of the normal 3/4cup). Then I set my electric burner at med., which takes like 25 mins. to make that volume of water boil. Ergo, after 23 mins., I turn the steaming water off before it actually boils, and leave it on the burner for another 8 1/2 mins. Coffeee comes out great. Truly better than my Black & Decker was making. Add the clean up is so much easier, I’ll never need worry about having to run vinegar thru a machine to stop the bitterness.
1st time I tried it, I let the grounds & water boil, and it got too strong & bitter.
And just by luck, I have a stainless steel canister that holds an entire pot, and lo and behold, my coffee filter fits perfectly into the top without falling in, making the filtering a snap. And i can place the canister back on the burner at low, to keep the coffee hot, once the grounds are removed. Most of the grounds sink & stay at the bottom of the stock pot, making filtering even easier.

Cooks Illustrated did a test of drip coffee makers a few years ago and found that as a whole they didin’t brew long enough (grounds should brew for at least 4-minutes) or hot enough (195-205 F degrees) to make a good cup of coffee. That explained our experience trying to find a good drip coffee maker.

We finally bought an electric hot pot to heat the water and got a french press. Now we get a good cup of coffee. The cold coffee is then kept in the fridge and used to make iced coffee. Wouldn’t have a drip coffee maker now if it was given to us.

Well, being the scrooge I am, and worthy of the title my friends have given me of El Cheapo, I bought an off brand of coffee. Often, if you buy a store brand, ya’ might be surprized how good it is. Just as ya’ might get disapointed.
So anyways, I got this off brand, coz its driving me nuts how much coffee has risen in price over the last 6 months.
So following my previous recipe, didn’t work. Coffee came out way too weak.
Thus I experimented. Made the time it took just prior to boil by lowering the burner temp, and let it steep longer before filtering. It worked. This cheaper coffee came out as good, once I adjusted.
Kinda makes me proud.
Just as with the coffee, often the herbs vary, or the meat, or even the veggies.
Yeah, if ya’ wanna enjoy cooking…learn to adjust.

Thank you. I was sent whole beans which I keep in the freezer. I grind just enough for a cup or two in a small electric coffee grinder. I keep two, one for the coffee and one for spices. I enjoy DRIP coffee and used a cone and natural paper filter.

Hiya’ KW, Glad ya’ like my sense of humor.
Yet, the fact is, this whole coffee thing is intriguing me.
Imagine, I took what I thought was not so good grounds, and by changing the brewing time, made it pretty good.
What that tells me, is that every ground brand(even the same brand, can vary due to crops), has an ultimate point, where it would be at its best. Meaning, no drip coffee maker could ever adjust to make coffee at its peak.
Thus, there’s no perfect recipe, coz it will always depend upon the coffee you have to work with.
Kinda makes coffee, a whole new form of art…

Many many years ago ( was 18), I was managing a Perkins Pancake House.
It was different back then, Perkins had little control over the store owners, but did, of course, have a fair amount.
But the brand of coffee was our choice. I remember once we had Maxwell House, but then swicthed to an institutional only brand, Superior. Then years later, we switched to 5th Avenue. Superior was great coffee, and 5th Avenue was even better.
Except, guess what ?
Our owner had a policy of allowing employees to purchase product from him at his cost. This would increase how much he ordered, thus getting a lower per unit price, and it really kept employees from taken things for free.
Well, when any of us would make 5th Avenue coffee at home, it was horrible. Yet when made in our Bun double coffee maker at the restaurant, it was the best. Neither Superior or 5th Avenue were availiable to the public.
As far as me writting a book…I wish I had such aspirations. Yet, sure does seem that someone needs to.
Hahahahahaha, just figured out, if ya’ type an ‘8’, and then type a ‘)’, ya’ get a smily wearing shades…LOL

Mushroom coffee is a type of coffee that contains dried, powdered mushrooms, typically blended with traditional coffee beans. The most popular type of mushroom used in mushroom coffee is Cordyceps, a medicinal mushroom known for its energy-boosting properties.

Mushroom coffee offers several health benefits, including:

1. Increased energy - Cordyceps mushrooms contain compounds that increase energy and stamina, making them a popular choice for athletes and people with active lifestyles.

2. Improved cognitive function - The antioxidants in mushroom coffee can help improve brain function, memory, and concentration.

3. Reduced inflammation - The anti-inflammatory properties of mushrooms can help reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease, diabetes, and certain cancers.

4. Boosted immunity - The compounds in mushrooms help boost the immune system, making it easier for the body to fight off infections and illnesses.

Mushroom coffee is becoming increasingly popular among health-conscious individuals who are looking for an alternative to traditional coffee that offers added health benefits. It can be enjoyed as a standalone beverage or used as a base for lattes and other coffee drinks.

While mushroom coffee is generally considered safe, it’s important to keep in mind that the effects of consuming large amounts of dried mushrooms are not well understood. As with any dietary supplement, it’s important to talk to your doctor before adding mushroom coffee to your routine to ensure it’s safe for you to consume.

Here is a simple recipe for the best mushroom coffee:

Ingredients:

• 1 cup of freshly brewed coffee
  • 1 tsp of dried, powdered Cordyceps mushroom
  • 1 tsp of sweetener of your choice (optional)
  • 1 cup of milk of your choice

Step by Step Preparation:

1. Brew a fresh cup of coffee using your preferred method.
  2. While the coffee is brewing, place the dried, powdered Cordyceps mushroom in a small bowl.
  3. Once the coffee is brewed, pour it into a blender or large mixing bowl.
  4. Add the powdered Cordyceps mushroom and sweetener (if desired) to the coffee and blend until the mixture is smooth.
  5. Pour the coffee and mushroom mixture into a saucepan and heat over low heat until warm.
  6. Add the milk of your choice to the saucepan and whisk until frothy.
  7. Pour the mushroom coffee into a mug and enjoy.

This recipe makes one serving of mushroom coffee. Feel free to adjust the amount of Cordyceps mushroom to your preference. Some people like a more subtle flavor, while others prefer a stronger mushroom taste.

Note: If you prefer, you can also add a pinch of cinnamon or nutmeg for added flavor. Additionally, you can use any type of milk you prefer, including almond milk, oat milk, or coconut milk.

Enjoy your delicious and nutritious mushroom coffee!

Who Should Drink Mushroom Coffee?

Mushroom coffee may be beneficial for some people, but it is not appropriate for everyone. People who are allergic to mushrooms should avoid mushroom coffee altogether. Additionally, anyone who is pregnant or breastfeeding should avoid consuming medicinal mushrooms, as there is not enough research to determine their safety.

If you are considering trying mushroom coffee, it is important to be aware of the potential side effects and speak with your healthcare provider. You should also be cautious when purchasing mushroom coffee products. Look for high-quality brands that use organic mushrooms and have been independently tested for purity and potency.