Making french fries

Hello My Friends,

I am Susmita from Bangladesh. A new member here.

I want to learn French Fries making. I searched in online recipes and tried in my kitchen several times but it does not come out that Crispy and Wonderful Color as we eat in resturents. I first keep the potato pieces in cold water for 1 hour … then fry in low heat for 3/5 mnts. Then keep it in Freeze for 2-3 hours. Then again fry it in middle heat . But still i am not satisfied. Also it soaks oil very much ( i used kitchen Tissue paper). Can you help me on this?

Also please advise me when i will add salt . before frying or after frying ?

Thanks

First of all - drain your fries and pat dry after soaking in water. You are soaking them to remove the sugar. Also you do not want to break down your oil.

There are 2 methods:

Blanch in hot water after cut and plunge into cold water-keeps the potato taste.

Deep fry.

Russets are best - holdup the best and have the best flavor.

You can freeze after frying a bit - makeyour own frozen french fries.

OR

• Russet potatoes are commonly used for making fries. To make a batch of French fries, gather four russet potatoes, a deep fryer (a five-quart pot with a candy thermometer will do), two quarts of oil, a Chinese skimmer to dip the fries out of the oil, a paper bag or paper towels for draining the fries and salt.

• Russet potatoes are starchy potatoes, which means they should be rinsed before cooking. Skipping this step will result in the oil becoming clouded with starch, which will affect the flavor of the fries and may cause them to stick together.

• Chill the fries before cooking. If they are nearly frozen when they first enter the oil, they will cook slower and more thoroughly. To do this, fill a bowl with water, add ice and cut potatoes and refrigerate for about 30 minutes. Rinse and pat the potatoes dry before frying.

• Keep in mind that the potato will take on the flavor of oil it is fried in. Vegetable oil is most commonly used to fry potatoes because of its light flavor, but popular restaurant chains use canola oil with a bit of safflower oil. Some prefer peanut oil for its nutty flavor. Lard will probably have the most flavor, but the flavor will be heavy. It all depends on personal taste.

• The oil should be heated to 350 to 375 degrees before frying. Once the fries have cooked for four to six minutes, take them out of the oil with a Chinese skimmer, place on a paper bag, salt and enjoy.

• For extra-crisp fries, heat the oil to 325 degrees and fry potatoes for about three minutes, until they begin to change color. Remove fries with a wire skimmer and let them cool on a cake rack over a jelly roll pan for up to four hours. Next reheat shortening or oil to 375 degrees, add room temperature fries and cook for about one to two minutes. Once fries are removed from fryer, place them on a wire rack and keep in the oven at 200 degrees while frying the rest. Salt and enjoy.

• For spicier fries, mix two teaspoons each of the following: garlic powder, black pepper, tarragon leaves and Old Bay seasoning. Sprinkle the spice mix over the fries and serve.

• For thicker steak fries, cut the potatoes into 1/3-inch to 1/2-inch thick slices and fry in the oil for about 10 to 12 minutes instead of the usual four to six minutes.

• French-fries can be baked to cut back on calories. Cut 1-1/2 pounds of russet potatoes into 1/2-inch sticks. Place potatoes in a bowl and add one tablespoon olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper and mix together. Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet and bake for 30 minutes at 475 degrees. Experiment and create new variations by adding flavors such as garlic, rosemary or ground chili pepper.

• For great results, fry French fries twice.

Don’t crowd the fries in the fryer - that will lower the temperature of the oil too fast and make them soggy.

Salt AFTER cooking - never before.

you can also add a little white distilled vinegar to the water when soaking - that will help to make them crispy

thank you soooo muchhh… for your reply…

I will try it and post you about the result…

let us know how it works for you

Ok… Boss.

I always appriciate your reply and advice …

Dear Kitchen Witch, Can you help me to make BFC CHICKEN FRY .

I like BFC Chicken Fry very much… It similars with our Bangladeshi Test.

Thanks
Susmita

BOSS! oh my goodness! not me - I’m retired - I’m no one’s boss anymore - unless I get my wish to open up a diner soon! LOL

anytime you need something - just give a holler - there is always someone to help!

Now - BFC Chicken??? Hmmmmmmmm I have to check that one out!

Dear Kitchen witch,

Thank you soo much for your reply.
BFC Chicken Fry ( Not KFC ) is Spicy also Similar with our Bangladeshi Test.

I will be waiting for your BFC recipe.

Thanks
Susmita
Bangladesh