Mexican Pizzas

I am a HUGE mexican food fan, and while this is not technically “authentic”, it beats the hell out of anything you will ever get at Taco Bell or any other fast food restaurant. We served something like this in a restuarant I worked in years ago, but I have adapted it to be a bit easier to make, and I think better tasting.

Ranchero Sauce
1 bunch green onions
1/2 green pepper, chopped
2 ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
2 cans Rotel diced tomatoes with chiles (or other brand)
2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp worchestershire sauce
2 tsp cumin
1 TBS dried parsley
Hot sauce to taste (optional)

Place all ingredients in a sauce pan and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until peppers are tender and flavors have combines, about 20 minutes. Set aside to cool. I don’t usually add hot sauce to this, as the resulting sauce is pretty good and I don’t want to overpower the pizza (or my guests) but if you like to heat it up, by all means, sauce away!

1 pkg large flour tortillas (the 8-10" ones)
Oil for deep frying
Topping of your choice*
1 green pepper, chopped
1 red onion, chopped
1 large can sliced black olives
1 jar sliced jalapenos
1 package shredded mexican blend cheddar cheese
1 package shredded mozzerella cheese
Sour cream

In a large, wide pan (large enough to fit a flat flour tortilla) heat the oil to 375 degrees. Place the tortillas, one at a time, into the hot oil. If you have a large pasta colander (not a sieve) it does a great job holding the tortilla flat under the oil while cooking. If not, flip the tortilla with metal tongs while cooking, until it is golden brown. If using tongs, make sure you pop the air pockets that will form in the tortilla, so that your end result will be a flat fried tortilla. Drain the cooked tortillas onto paper towels, making sure to turn them multiple times to drain excess oil from the punctured air pockets.

Most flour tortillas come in packages of 8, and the cooked tortillas will stay fresh if wrapped loosely in a plastic trash bag for 3 to 4 days. The Ranchero sauce makes enough to top 8 pizzas, and will keep refrigerated for a week, so you can decide how many to cook.

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Place one oven rack in the second position from the top, and one in the center. I usually make four at a time, so here’s what I do. On two large baking sheets, place 2 tortillas each. Ladel enough of the ranchero sauce over them to suit your tastes. *Next comes the topping(s). I personally make my own ground beef topping, but many people have their own favorite recipe. The best toppings I’ve found are ground beef (taco meat) refried beans, fajita meat (great if you have leftovers) or plain vegetarian. Again, place the quantity of topping(s) on the pizzas to suit your taste. Next, place a generous sprinkling of the mozzerella cheese over the topping. Then place the sliced black olives and jalapenos to taste. Next, sprinkle a layer of the mexican blend cheddar cheese on each, followed by the chopped onions and peppers.

Place the pans in the oven and bake for about 15 minutes, rotating the pans half-way through. Exact time will vary depending on your oven, so keep an eye on them. Slice into 4 or 8 slices, depending on if you’re serving them as appetizers or as a meal. Serve the sour cream on the side for dipping/spreading over the pizzas. I’ve gotten nothing but great reviews from my friends on these, and I hope you enjoy them as well. If you find yourself having extra Ranchero sauce at the end, it makes a wonderful chip dip, and also tastes if you pour it over the top of a burrito, cover it with cheddar cheese, and bake. :slight_smile:

Hi jslate,

These are great!

I didn’t have any flour tortillas on hand so made em
with corn tortillas and they turned out wonderful.

Living in the southwest us. I’m always looking for new
recipes that fit into this areas cuisine, and these do.

Thanks for sharing!

Frank

Glad to hear you enjoyed them Frank. I’ll be posting one of my twists on fajitas here shortly you might be interested in too. Always a pleasure to share :slight_smile:

Joe

Thank you! Thank you! I have been trying to do something different than the fast food drive-through for my grandchildren. You have made it happen with this recipe.

Bowlady123

I tried the tortilla shell in the deep fry but it doesn’t have the same flavor or texture as taco bell. Any body got any ideas for me.