mexican style Cole Slaw

Mexican Style SlawÂ

This spicy slaw is a perfect picnic food (it uses no mayonnaise) and a unique change to traditional cole slaws.

1/2 head green cabbage, shredded
1/2 medium jicama, shredded
1 large carrot, shredded
3 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced 1-2 minced, seeded jalapeño peppers
1/3 C chopped cilantro

Dressing

1/4 C fresh lime juice
1/4 C fresh orange juice
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp ground cumin
salt and pepper to taste

Low Down: Use a sugar alternative such as SPLENDA.

Serves 8

Combine all salad ingredients and mix well. Combine all dressing ingredients and toss well with salad ingredients. Refrigerate until ready to serve. This slaw gets better if it has a chance to sit for a few hours before serving and it’s even good the next day.

Prep Note: Use more or less jalapeño, depending on how spicy you like your foods.

Prep WARNING: If you are new to the world of the jalepeno and other hot peppers, USE CARE when cutting them up and seeding them…DON’T get your hands around your face, especially the eyes, UNTIL you’ve had a chance to thoroughly wash your hands with soap and water…

Variations: Folks, as written, this is pretty muuch a “middle of the road” recipe, spice wise, Mexican recipe and therefore the ONLY limit to what and how much goes in is your taste and the temperature limits of your mouth; some “addiional optional” items ~~ all to taste, are Hot sauce. Chili powder, and tobasco sauce.

{B^))

Enjoy !!

Thanks JGB - this sounds like the slaw at our favorite mexican place. I will be trying this today. :smiley:

You are MOST welcome !!

It does my ole’ heart good to see that someone appreciates the time and trouble I go to in both the finding and “tweaking” these recipes before posting them.

Happy Eating…and have a FANTASMAGORICALLY WONDERFUL weekend !!

John